Valve breaks on North Center water main, shuts down part of Damen between Montrose, Berteau
February 12, 2014 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A valve on a North Side water main broke, flooding part of Damen Avenue in the North Center neighborhood Wednesday evening.
Later Wednesday night, Damen was a slushy mess as crews continued to work on the problem, which the water department describes as a broken water valve basin connected to the water main.
Residents just call it a mess. The problem started around 3 p.m. Wednesday afternoon, with the flooding shutting down a stretch of Damen.
Residents in about a five block area have been without water since then. The area affected is bordered by Montrose to the north, Damen to the east, Berteau to the south, and Lincoln to the west.
Crews hope to have everything repaired and water restored in the next two or three hours. The official cause of all this still undetermined, though weather is obviously something to consider.
chicago news, eric horng
- Boy, 12, killed in hit-and-run in Whiting
- Meeting addresses consequences of 'sexting'
- Police: Suspicious item on LSD was sleeping bag
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Grand jury indicts Lake Station mayor, wife
- Police release sketch in Albany Park attempted kidnapping
- Chicago boy remembered 1 year after suspicious death
- Lyons residents respond to police cuts
- Kirk introduces stroke research, treatment legislation
- Bond denied for suspect in Boystown sex assault
- Tavern shutdown racially motivated, owner says
- School bus collides with car, then sign in Bartlett
- Hero officers save two boys from West Pullman fire
- abcnews: Experts: Pistorius May Have Stumbled on Stand
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos