YMCA faces suit over alleged molestation
February 9, 2009 (WLS) -- A lawsuit has been filed against a suburban YMCA by the family of a 4-year-old girl who claims a swimming coach employed by the facility molested her.
Twenty-two-year-old Kevin Skowron was fired back in November. On the same day he was fired he was charged with assaulting two girls at the Buehler YMCA in Palatine.
The lawsuit accuses the owners of the YMCA of being negligent and reckless for not firing Skowron as soon as the abuse allegations surfaced.
"Any institution that deals with children as soon as there is an allegation, not only do they have to report it to DCFS and the police, but they have to take that individual out of service immediately," said Joe Klest, plaintiff's attorney.
The YMCA would not comment on the lawsuit.
Skowron has been charged but not convicted. He has another court appearance scheduled for Friday.
- Baby boy found dead in Logan Square gangway
- 2 teens found dead in South Side apartment
- Suburban woman wins $14M verdict in Yasmin case
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Person drowns in kayak accident on Fox River
- Cardinal George presides over Easter vigil mass
- Blackhawks lose 4-3 in OT to St. Louis Blues
- Bloomingdale Trail bridge moved from Ashland to Western
- Teen dead after chase, shooting end in West Town crash
- Firefighters battle blaze in West Garfield Park
- Man appears in court with part of ear bitten off
- SUV crashes into Villa Park house
- Anti-violence Easter march held in South Chicago
- abcnews: Meth Lab Found in Million-Dollar Home