Shot Orland Park homeowner chases robbers in car
May 10, 2013 (ORLAND PARK, Ill.) (WLS) -- A south suburban man was shot three times during an attempted home invasion, but despite his wounds he tried to chase down the suspects.
Orland Park police are looking for 27-year-old Anthony M. Espinoza, of Crown Point, Indiana, who they allege was driving the getaway vehicle. The vehicle has since been recovered in Gary, Indiana.
Police say that the Espinoza should be considered armed and dangerous. No suspects are in custody yet.It started as a home invasion and robbery, but things quickly turned violent. The victim, who was shot three times, managed to chase after the suspects.
Police say two men broke into the house at around 3 o'clock Friday morning to rob the family inside. The suspects allegedly stole jewelry and money.
The man inside decided to fight back and scuffled with the robbers. They opened fire, shooting him three times, in the hand, shoulder and leg, and then took off. He got in his van and followed their grey PT Cruiser.
"He was an angry man that this took place and he decided to pursue and identify them if he could and I believe he said he was going to ram their vehicle," said Orland Park Police Chief Tim McCarthy.
The chase between the suspects and victim went on for miles. The suspects kept shooting at the man, who eventually lost sight of the getaway car when the driver jumped on I-80. The men are still on the loose.
"Absolutely armed and dangerous. Notify local authorities immediately," McCarthy said.
Neighbors were notified about the incident when police distributed community alert flyers around the home.
"I don't expect it here in this area because it's nice and quiet and peaceful," said neighbor Stanley Duibas. "That's why I moved from Chicago here"
"I was glad I had my alarm on is what I was thinking at the time to be honest. That's the first thing I was thinking," said neighbor Dave Pygon.
Orland Park police say they believe the victim was targeted. He is a business owner who customized cars.
Five people were home at the time of the home invasion and robbery, including two young children. Nobody else was injured.
- Man, 20, charged in Boystown sex assault 26 min ago
- Neighbors rescue kids from West Pullman fire
- Chicago casino plans to be heard at Wednesday hearing
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 15 min ago
- Carl Sandburg H.S. on 'soft lockdown' 39 min ago
- Bucktown water main break gushes for hours 19 min ago
- Cubs unveil plans for Wrigley's 100th birthday
- Michelle Obama to meet with CPS students in DC 44 min ago
- Amber Creek murder suspect appears at preliminary hearing 46 min ago
- Resurfacing project begins to fill potholes 45 min ago
- Gurnee man sentenced in sex assaults of 2 kids
- Huntley teen charged, allegedly crashed SUV into home
- Truck driver who allegedly molested 11 kids sentenced
- abcnews: Experts: Pistorius May Have Stumbled on Stand
- 'The Chew'?s Carla Hall
9 min ago
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos