Magnificent Mile Lights Festival parade sparkles on Michigan Avenue
November 17, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Chicago's Magnificent Mile is all set to turn into an illuminated wonderland Saturday as part of the largest evening holiday celebration in the country.
Crews were setting up for the Magnificent Mile Lights Festival and parade featuring 1 million lights on 200 trees that are setting the stage for performances to thrill the entire family.
It is the country's largest evening holiday celebration. More than 1 million people are expected to attend.
The parade kicks off at 5:30 p.m. Saturday, and for the third year in a row, the grand marshals, Mickey and Minnie Mouse, will lead that parade and over 40 floats and balloons from the Walt Disney Resort along with marching bands from across the country and musical performances.
"Every year, we've got something that's just bigger and brighter. There's always something new. We've got the BMO Harris Stage that has the Disney channels. We also have really great activities going on at the Lights Festival Lane throughout the day. So, really things start at 11 o'clock and just go all day," said BMO Harris Bank's Joel Morales.
Saturday marks the 21st annual Magnificent Mile Lights Festival, which will feature an appearance by Santa Claus.
Drivers are warned several street closures will be in effect for Saturday's festivities. North Michigan Avenue will be closed at 4 p.m. along with several streets around the route. Click here for a map of the parade route.
Officials advise those heading to the parade to use public transportation and to expect large crowds and a lot of traffic.
The lights festival will end with a huge fireworks display over the Chicago River.
news, diane pathieu
- Married couple found dead in Garfield Ridge 54 min ago
- Parishioners find inspiration in Cardinal George 55 min ago
- Blackhawks Seabrook suspended 3 games
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 40 min ago
- Chicago shootings: 6 dead, 24 hurt since Friday night
- Police: One dead, one critical after South Lawndale shooting
- Six people shot at Easter party in Montgomery
- Couple marks 77-year wedding anniversary
- Utica marks 10 years since deadly tornado
- Transcript reveals confusion over ferry evacuation
- Flowers blooming in Millennium Park's Lurie Garden
- Chicago man killed in Salt Lake City stabbing
- Man ID'd after fatal crash on Ryan-Skyway ramp
- abcnews: Russia 'Outraged' by Deadly Ukraine Shootout 44 min ago
- Bulls fans ready for start of playoffs
53 min ago