Sword-wielding man 'cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs'
September 6, 2011 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- In an unusual arrest, Indiana State Police say they picked up a shirtless man marching along the highway with a samurai sword.
Troopers found the man just south of U.S. 30 on Interstate 65 in Merrillville, Ind., Sunday. The man was spotted near the area where a car was abandoned in the middle lane.
Forty-three-year old Byron Womack remained in the Lake County Jail Tuesday.
In a statement, police say Womack was marching like a "drum major," moving the sword up and down in rhythm with his marching cadence. When a trooper approached, Womack reportedly swung the sword, then dropped it.
Police say Womack also tried to get into an SUV that had stopped to avoid hitting the man and officers.
Police say that after Womack was taken into custody he gave troopers different names or addresses.
Womack was taken to the Lake County Jail on resisting arrest and other charges. He reportedly told police he was, "Cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs" but would not give his identity.
Womack is charged with attempted carjacking, resisting law enforcement and possession of marijuana.
(The Associated Press contributed to this report.)
- CPS protesters give up sit-in, school closes for good 7 min ago
- Hawks fans anxiously awaited OT goal, tied series 6 min ago
- LeBron headband absence could be key for Miami Heat win
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Blackhawks beat Bruins 6-5 in Game 4 OT, tie series 2-2 9 min ago
- 9 students hospitalized after pepper spray accident 31 min ago
- More than 8 percent of Illinois bridges structurally deficient
- Skokie mosquito tests positive for West Nile virus
- Red Line reconstruction project on time, within budget
- Man convicted with twin faces new sex trafficking charges
- State lawmakers send pension crisis to committee
- Body ID'd as missing UofC student, 20
- Long lines for Cook County flood assistance
- abcnews: Ohio Town Police Chief a Facebook Hit
- CPS protesters give up sit-in, school...
7 min ago