Girl recovering after swallowing dozens of magnets
March 5, 2012 (PORTLAND, Ore.) (WLS) -- A 3-year-old girl from Portland, Oregon, is recovering after swallowing three dozen magnets.
Payton Bushnell had complained of a stomach ache. When her parents took her to the hospital, doctors were shocked after seeing her x-rays. They determined that Payton had swallowed 37 high powered magnets.
Her parents think she may have eaten the magnets because they resemble decorations she puts on cookies.
The magnets were so strong they had torn three holes in the child's lower intestine and one in her stomach.
"If we had any idea what they could have done to her intestines, we would have never had them in our house," said Kelli Bushnell.
Doctors performed emergency surgery. They say Payton is now on her way to making a full recovery.
The Consumer Product Safety Commission reports 22 cases of children swallowing magnets since 2009.
Doctors say magnet ingestion may be misdiagnosed. They urge parents to pay close attention and to any non-specific abdominal symptoms, such as pain, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea.
- Brutal cold grips Chicago, suburbs
- Man shot to death in Logan Square
- Video: I-Team Thursday at 10
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Boy, 7, allegedly brings loaded gun to Elgin school
- Metra Rock Island train hits car on South Side 52 min ago
- Mom charged after YouTube postings of alphabet lesson
- Fatally shot alleged robber suspected in Harvey cop shooting 55 min ago
- No re-trial for alleged CPD torture victim Wrice
- Baby who died after being left home alone ID'd
- Coyote attacks on small dogs reported in Wheaton
- Indiana schools delayed by cold snap
- Man arrested in shooting of Garfield Park pharmacist
- abcnews: 911 calls in Jameis Winston case