Church service streams live in Oklahoma bar
April 30, 2012 (GLENPOOL, Okla.) (WLS) -- An Oklahoma church is delivering its message in a very unexpected place - a bar.
It's not your typical church setting, no sanctuary to speak of, not a Bible in sight. But the most unconventional part of all: a church service live streamed into a little bar called the Drunk Monkey Tavern. The pastor, Eastman Curtis, who is a little unconventional himself, admits even he was hesitant in at first.
"I thought, 'Oh my gosh, in a bar? I mean really, have church in a bar?'" said Curtis.
Bar owner Joe Beene said, 'Why not?'
"This would be more of a California sort of thing to do, but that doesn't mean we can't do it in the Bible belt."
Beene's plan to bring the pulpit to his patrons is clearly working. The bar is full of folks who otherwise might never set foot in a church.
"Some people don't have their Sunday best, they just have what they have, so they get a chance to come here and don't get judged and get a chance to worship the Lord," said Beene.
Keep in mind, the bartender is not here mixing drinks and serving beer - but instead it's breakfast and coffee and a message that worship is welcome anywhere.
As with anything, this unorthodox idea is catching flack from critics who say that a so-called sinful place, such as a bar, is no place for a sermon.
But the "congregation" says the bar is just as good a place as any. The doors are open at the Drunk Monkey every Sunday morning for church. You just have to be 21 to attend.
- Police: Suspicious item on LSD was sleeping bag 13 min ago
- Bond denied for suspect in Boystown sex assault 16 min ago
- Chicago casino plans pitched at gaming hearing 3 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- School bus collides with car, then sign in Bartlett 3 min ago
- Man who killed Kankakee doctor gets life in prison 17 min ago
- Cubs unveil plans for Wrigley's 100th birthday
- Carl Sandburg H.S. on 'soft lockdown'
- Bucktown water main break gushes for hours
- UIC faculty strike averted, tentative deal reached
- Truman College instructor accused of sexually assaulting former...
- Neighbors rescue kids from West Pullman fire
- Michelle Obama to meet with CPS students in DC
- abcnews: Experts: Pistorius May Have Stumbled on Stand
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos