Church service streams live in Oklahoma bar
April 30, 2012 (GLENPOOL, Okla.) (WLS) -- An Oklahoma church is delivering its message in a very unexpected place - a bar.
It's not your typical church setting, no sanctuary to speak of, not a Bible in sight. But the most unconventional part of all: a church service live streamed into a little bar called the Drunk Monkey Tavern. The pastor, Eastman Curtis, who is a little unconventional himself, admits even he was hesitant in at first.
"I thought, 'Oh my gosh, in a bar? I mean really, have church in a bar?'" said Curtis.
Bar owner Joe Beene said, 'Why not?'
"This would be more of a California sort of thing to do, but that doesn't mean we can't do it in the Bible belt."
Beene's plan to bring the pulpit to his patrons is clearly working. The bar is full of folks who otherwise might never set foot in a church.
"Some people don't have their Sunday best, they just have what they have, so they get a chance to come here and don't get judged and get a chance to worship the Lord," said Beene.
Keep in mind, the bartender is not here mixing drinks and serving beer - but instead it's breakfast and coffee and a message that worship is welcome anywhere.
As with anything, this unorthodox idea is catching flack from critics who say that a so-called sinful place, such as a bar, is no place for a sermon.
But the "congregation" says the bar is just as good a place as any. The doors are open at the Drunk Monkey every Sunday morning for church. You just have to be 21 to attend.
- Chicago honors military in Memorial Day Parade
- Memorial Day Road Race benefits military families
- 17-year-old boy killed in Austin shooting
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- 'Electric Daisy Carnival' keeping area residents up all night
- Man charged for arson, burglary of $1.5 million boat 10 min ago
- FEMA teams look for flood damage on South Side
- Jackson, Rainbow PUSH Coalition criticize school closings 21 min ago
- Joliet man facing child porn charges
- Missouri freight train crash injures at least 7, collapses...
- Robbie Rogers heading to Galaxy as league's 1st openly gay...
- Second video allegedly shows guard push student
- New York police investigating Amanda Bynes' assault allegations
- abcnews: Drivers Can't Face Fears, Get Lift Across...
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos