NJ man arrested on 5th DUI charge in 5 weeks
May 16, 2012 (VINELAND, N.J.) -- The New Jersey man who made headlines this week after it was revealed he had been charged with DUI four times in five weeks has been charged with DUI yet again.
Vineland police say 45-year-old Anderson Sotomayor was arrested shortly before noon Wednesday following a traffic stop.
Police say it all began when a concerned citizen called to report that Sotomayer was driving. Police were able to catch up with him and allegedly observed him driving erratically.
Authorities say police pulled Sotomayor over at the intersection of Park and Crystal avenues in Vineland at 11:59 a.m.
Sotomayor allegedly had an open can of beer in his lap when police pulled him over. Police say he also admitted to taking oxycontin Wednesdsay morning and refused to take a breathalyzer.
He was charged with illegal use of CDS (controlled dangerous substance), DWI, Reckless Driving, failure to maintain lane and having an open container of an alcoholic beverage in a motor vehicle.
Sotomayor is currently in the Cumberland County jail in lieu of $10,000 bail on a charge stemming from the alleged oxycontin use.
It was just on Saturday when Sotomayor was allegedly spotted driving the wrong way down a one-way street, then hitting a curb and driving off the street. The arresting officer asked the on-call judge to set bail, but the judge declined.
Vineland's municipal court administrator says there's a list of crimes for which you can set bail and drunk driving is not on it because it's considered a traffic violation.
Sotomayor was also charged with driving under the influence on April 9, 11 and 25.
He was also issued five summonses - not including drunken driving - on April 2. Police say that day, he swerved around a school bus as it unloaded kids, ran into a stop sign, smashed into a car and fled the scene of the accident.
His driving record includes two prior drunk driving convictions in 1989 and 1992. His license has been suspended 23 times and he's got multiple violations for speeding and careless driving. But his license was recently restored.
Action News knocked on Sotomayor's door on Tuesday for a comment but he didn't answer.
- Snow blankets city, suburbs after March storm 9 min ago
- Allan Kustok found guilty in wife's 2010 murder
- I-Team: Illinois state spy secret revealed
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Man charged with shooting Chicago officer
- $2M bond for man accused of shooting 6 at party
- Chicago River to be dyed green this weekend despite ice 9 min ago
- SUV with child stolen in Colorado, I-25 chase
- Political consultant hit by falling ice 22 min ago
- Bears terminate Julius Peppers contract
- Son goes on trial in man's beating, stabbing death
- MH370, missing Malaysia Airlines plane, gone 4 days
- San Francisco fire at Mission Bay construction site contained
- abcnews: Obama Shops At The Gap
- Snow blankets city, suburbs after March storm
9 min ago