Watermelons spill on Dan Ryan at Stevenson; ramp reopened
July 9, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- If you've ever dropped a piece of watermelon on your floor, you have an idea of what crews faced Monday on the inbound Dan Ryan ramp to the outbound Stevenson Expressway.
IDOT workers shut down the ramp to clean up after approximately 49,000 lbs. of watermelon spilled onto the roadway when a semi-truck carrying the fruit split in half, sending the watermelons rolling all over.
Crews responded and worked overnight to get rid of the mess.
The ramp reopened just before 6 a.m. Monday.
- 4 girls, 1 boy shot in Park Manor drive-by
- Woman killed in West Side hit-and-run
- Chicago shootings: 9 dead, 35 hurt since Friday night
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- 2 officers hurt in Calumet Heights rollover crash 56 min ago
- Motorized wheelchair stolen from Ondelee Perteet
- Blackhawks Seabrook suspended 3 games
- Wizards rally past Bulls in Game 1
- Parishioners find inspiration in Cardinal George
- Married couple found dead in Garfield Ridge
- Police: One dead, one critical after South Lawndale shooting
- Rubin Carter dead at 76; boxer 'Hurricane' exonerated in triple... 36 min ago
- Kevin Sharp dead at 43; country singer battled cancer young
- abcnews: Russia 'Outraged' by Deadly Ukraine Shootout
- 7 in :77