Watermelons spill on Dan Ryan at Stevenson; ramp reopened
July 9, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- If you've ever dropped a piece of watermelon on your floor, you have an idea of what crews faced Monday on the inbound Dan Ryan ramp to the outbound Stevenson Expressway.
IDOT workers shut down the ramp to clean up after approximately 49,000 lbs. of watermelon spilled onto the roadway when a semi-truck carrying the fruit split in half, sending the watermelons rolling all over.
Crews responded and worked overnight to get rid of the mess.
The ramp reopened just before 6 a.m. Monday.
- Off-duty sheriff's officer dies in Bellwood shooting
- Ice to slicken roads before snow rolls in
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Bensenville police shooting injures man
- Police: Drunk driver crashes into squard car
- Siblings becoming guardians of disabled adults
- Tonsil surgery tragedy judge orders life support for girl, 13
- Nigeria mass wedding marries 1,111 couples 11 min ago
- Chicago art exhibit celebrates food
- Busiest holiday travel days at O'Hare, Midway
- Bank robber tied to Evanston tobacco shop murders
- Midlothian auto supply store burglarized 3 times in 1 night
- abcnews: Feds: Woman caught after 36 years on run
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos