Renoir painting found at Virginia flea market
September 11, 2012 (ALEXANDRIA, Va.) (WLS) -- A woman in Virginia found a real treasure among the trash at a local flea market: an 1879 painting by Renoir.
The woman is not giving her name because of the value of the work of art. It's an 1879 Renoir titled "The Landscape on the Banks of the River Seine."
The finder of the painting says she initially bought the picture for its frame. When she was about to remove the painting from the frame her mother noticed the name Renoir on the edging.
It was the real thing.
Auctioneers say the painting could bring up to $100,000.
- Teenager sexually assaulted in Logan Square
- Wrong-way driver collides with semi on Skyway
- Potholes prompt revamped street paving plan 56 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 53 min ago
- Pfleger wants 'American' billboard with assault weapon removed 32 min ago
- Girl, 3, ID'd after fatal Rogers Park mattress fire
- Tinley Park HS teacher resigns after sex assault charges
- Man shot to death in Hammond
- Accused NU professor will not teach spring quarter 5 min ago
- Man charged with murder for South Side bar shooting
- Chicago-Portland flight allegedly disrupted by man who wanted 4...
- Sign of Spring: Original Rainbow Cone now open
- Photos: 'Modern Family' house on market for $2.35M
- abcnews: Gov. Chris Christie Fires Back at Heckler 17 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
53 min ago
- ABC7 to Go, March 13, 2014
30 min ago