Renoir painting found at Virginia flea market
September 11, 2012 (ALEXANDRIA, Va.) (WLS) -- A woman in Virginia found a real treasure among the trash at a local flea market: an 1879 painting by Renoir.
The woman is not giving her name because of the value of the work of art. It's an 1879 Renoir titled "The Landscape on the Banks of the River Seine."
The finder of the painting says she initially bought the picture for its frame. When she was about to remove the painting from the frame her mother noticed the name Renoir on the edging.
It was the real thing.
Auctioneers say the painting could bring up to $100,000.
- Naperville fire kills 2, injures 3
- Cragin on alert after girl beaten, sexually assaulted
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast 51 min ago
- Mega Millions drawing leads to $1M ticket in Chicago
- CTA Red Line shooting injures man at Argyle
- Boy, 16, critically wounded in Little Village shooting
- Report: CPS headquarters could move
- ADM to move headquarters to Chicago
- 30 dogs removed from North Chicago apartment
- 1-month anniversary of Midwest tornadoes outbreak
- Woman, 30, dead in Chicago River fall ID'd
- Submit Your Holiday Lights Photos/Video to ABC7
- abcnews: Pope's Christmas Message: Serve The Poor
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
51 min ago