Dachshund on a Diet: Rescued mix 'Obie' trying to lose 40 lbs.
September 20, 2012 (PORTLAND, Ore.) (WLS) -- Lots of Americans are struggling with their weight, and one dog in Oregon is no different.
At one point, "Obie" the dachshund mix was up to 77 pounds. Now he's on a strict diet to get him back to a normal size of about 40 pounds.
Foster mom Nora Vanatta volunteered to take on the meaty dog after reading about him on a dachshund rescue Facebook page.
"I just read the story, and I was like, 'I'll take him, he can lose weight, how hard can it be?' I hadn't seen a picture or anything," said Vanatta.
Obie's foster mom says she gets letters and e-mails from people who watch the dog and have become inspired to lose weight too.
- Grand Blue Line stop reopened after water main break
- Suburban police to begin carrying Narcan
- Stolen passports probed in Malaysian plane mystery
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Gary shooting: 1 dead, at least 2 others injured
- H.S. wrestling coach accused of sex with student
- GOP candidates for IL treasurer square off in forum
- Mt. Prospect woman accuses neighbor of hate crime
- Chicago pothole 'strike teams,' formed by CDOT crews
- Sarah Kustok defends father at murder trial
- Spring-like day followed by snow
- Larkin High School poms squad honored
- Chicago glows green ahead of St. Patrick's Day
- abcnews: Happy Couples Share 6 Common Habits