Using coupons on dates increasingly acceptable
October 25, 2012 (WLS) -- The dinner, the drinks, maybe a movie or a show -- the price tag for a night out sure can add up quickly.
But wooing doesn't need to be a budget buster. In fact, frugal dating is on the rise.
You know those coupons you get in the paper, regular mail, and in your inbox-deals, from local restaurants and vendors?
You may want to bring them along on your next date.
A recent survey by Harris Interactive for Coupon Cabin finds more people are using coupons to cut down on dating costs.
Twenty-six percent of people surveyed said they've used a coupon on a first date. That's up 8 percent from 2011.
Think being thrifty is a turnoff? Think again.
Twenty-six percent of people also said they would have a positive reaction if their date used a coupon; 73 percent said it just might lead to a second date.
Not everyone is embracing frugal dating; 12 percent of respondents said if their date used a coupon on a first date there would be no second. Three percent would tell their date his or her thriftiness was offensive. And one percent would end the date right then and there.
If you are cashing in on a deal on a date, the experts at Coupon Cabin warn not to skimp on the tip. Cheating a server out of his or her fair share is not the way to impress your company.
No matter the deal, make plans based on what you can afford. And be honest. If you're using a coupon, don't try to hide it.
- Bank robber tied to Evanston tobacco shop murders
- Busiest holiday travel days at O'Hare, Midway 7 min ago
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Freezing rain north, west of Chicago
- Obama: 2014 can be 'breakthrough year' for US
- New Illinois driving laws in 2014 on speed, electronics
- Report: Centrella may buy Dominick's stores
- Man charged in Rogers Park stabbing
- Horse escapes, gallops down Old Town streets
- More Chicago speed cameras to issue real tickets
- Briggs' status still up in air for Bears
- Kanye West opens pop-up store in Chicago
- abcnews: Dramatic Helicopter Rescue Caught on Tape
- Busiest holiday travel days at O'Hare, Midway
7 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos