Long Island police documents end up as Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade confetti
November 26, 2012 (NEW YORK) -- Nassau County police are investigating how shredded but still readable police documents ended up as confetti at the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade.
A lawyer and his son picked up confetti that contained confidential information about cases and police officers.
As the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade made its way down the Upper West Side last week, Saul Finkelstein and his family made a very odd discovery.
"It's everywhere, everywhere you look," Finkelstein said.
They expect to be coated with confetti at their usual perch at 65th and Central Park West, but this time, something was seriously wrong.
"One of my son's friends found some with a social security number on it," Finkelstein said.
Turns out the tiny bits of paper were shredded documents from the Nassau County Police Department, loaded with the names, phone numbers, even social security numbers of cops.
Now, they're all over Central Park West.
Sources tell Eyewitness News two officers, planning to attend the parade with their kids, grabbed a bag of shredded documents to throw as confetti, but they didn't realize the documents had improperly shredded to begin with.
Nassau Police have already ordered a review of document security, and officers whose identities were compromised will be given free credit monitoring for life.
Saul Finkelstein says he's glad his family figured it all out.
"Why they would use this kind of material is something we'll never know," Finkelstein said.
- CPD officer killed in crash after police chase 8 min ago
- Brief warm-up followed by snow 38 min ago
- Missing plane may have created seismic event, Chinese researchers say
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Mundelein girl in court again after half-sister's murder 2 min ago
- Pi Day celebrated on 3.14 with Chicago specials
- Photos: Chicago police officer killed in crash
- SUV rolls off Jane Addams exit ramp in Rosemont
- Northwestern University unveils $3.75B campaign 58 min ago
- Rat problem could increase with spring thaw
- GOP gubernatorial candidates hold last forum before primary
- MS Awareness Month events in Chicago area
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL
- abcnews: Cracked Dam Leads to Human Remains
- 7 in 77
- CPD officer killed in crash after police...
8 min ago