Burglar found napping in child's bed in Houston home
February 12, 2013 (HOUSTON) -- The search is on for a burglar who hit three homes in north Houston, treating one of them like a hotel. He helped himself to something to eat and then took a nap.
Police say the burglar was scared off by a woman who came home while he was apparently napping inside her house.
Police are urging homeowners in the immediate area around Fulton and Dippings to be on high alert. Officers say they have a burglary suspect apparently roaming the neighborhood, looking for any opportunity to break into homes -- an open window, an unlocked door.
By early Tuesday morning, he had already hit three homes. At the second house the suspect decided to take a load off. He took off his boots and made himself at home. He ate a snack and even laid down to take a nap in a child's bedroom.
When the homeowner came home to find that stranger in her son's bed, she panicked and called 911. In the meantime, the suspect made his way to a third house where, to his surprise, the owner was home and came face to face with him.
"I didn't say anything to him. I just started shooting at him," said Benny Demarco. "We'd already talked all we was gonna talk in the garage, when he told me he didn't want me to shoot him."
Demarco fired the gun three times. Police say they don't think the suspect was hit. He took off on foot and is still at large. There's no clear description of the suspect available, but police caution residents in the area to be on the lookout.
strange, sonia azad
- Woman stabbed after leaving Wicker Park nightclub 13 min ago
- Man turns self in after baby dies in crash 8 min ago
- Yik Yak disabled in Chicago amid bullying concerns
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Metra delays after man hit by train on NW Side 56 min ago
- Elderly woman dead after fire in Woodstock
- Superintendent reprimanded after DUI arrest 47 min ago
- Guzman lieutenant set to plead guilty in Chicago 48 min ago
- Campaign to curb military sex assaults continues
- Body found near home of woman missing 2 years
- Man falls from Wisconsin Dells roller coaster
- Employers add 175K jobs despite harsh weather 34 min ago
- Fortune cookie turns Bronx woman into millionaire
- abcnews: Family Takes on Critics After Lung Transplant
- 7 in :77
- Woman stabbed after leaving Wicker Park...
13 min ago
- Man turns self in after baby dies in crash
8 min ago