Woman wins $40M, not $40K, in Canada lottery
April 11, 2013 (TORONTO) -- Maria Carreiro, a 51-year-old Toronto grandmother, was shocked to discover the winning Lotto Max ticket in her pocket was worth a staggering $40 million dollars after mistakenly thinking it was only $40,000.
At a press conference held by the Ontario lottery, Carreiro said that she and her husband would be headed for a honeymoon in Hawaii and all-you-can-eat buffet for the entire family.
"I never had a honeymoon. For 30 years I've been married to my husband," she said.
Carreiro couldn't contain her excitement. The mother of three and grandmother of five called it fate. After 20 years of playing the same numbers - her children's birthdays - she decide to change it up and went for a quick-pick at a variety store on Eglinton in Toronto. She says her regular numbers were randomly selected.
"Thank you Lord, thank you Lord. I love you!" she said. "When they put it through the machines, that's when it clicked in. 'Oh my God, oh my God, oh my God."
At first, she thought the prize was $40,000, then realized later with her daughter the jackpot was actually much larger.
"I run up the stairs, and me and her run down the stairs, and she went on the computer. and said, 'Mommy, you're $40 million richer,' and I said, 'No way," Carreiro said.
"It still hasn't sunk in. you know my dad works so hard and we've been struggling so much. It's $40 million; it's so much money," said daughter Manuela.
- Chemical plant fire, explosion injures 2 in Alsip 19 min ago
- Gunman dead, officer shot in Arlington Heights
- Blagojevich appeal goes before judges
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Free Mega Millions tickets in Chicago
- Man, 31, pulled from Chicago River near lake
- Body of missing Lansing man, 40, found in ditch
- 8 LSD crashes reported within 1 mile in 1 hour
- 4-year-old boy accidentally shoots himself in Gary
- I-90/94 lanes to close for bridge piers construction
- Mother charged in baby's death held on $250K bond 30 min ago
- Winter weather advisories; snow follows cold
- Bruno Mars is Billboard's top artist of 2013 20 min ago
- abcnews: Family: American held in Iran was CIA spy