Woman wins $40M, not $40K, in Canada lottery
April 11, 2013 (TORONTO) -- Maria Carreiro, a 51-year-old Toronto grandmother, was shocked to discover the winning Lotto Max ticket in her pocket was worth a staggering $40 million dollars after mistakenly thinking it was only $40,000.
At a press conference held by the Ontario lottery, Carreiro said that she and her husband would be headed for a honeymoon in Hawaii and all-you-can-eat buffet for the entire family.
"I never had a honeymoon. For 30 years I've been married to my husband," she said.
Carreiro couldn't contain her excitement. The mother of three and grandmother of five called it fate. After 20 years of playing the same numbers - her children's birthdays - she decide to change it up and went for a quick-pick at a variety store on Eglinton in Toronto. She says her regular numbers were randomly selected.
"Thank you Lord, thank you Lord. I love you!" she said. "When they put it through the machines, that's when it clicked in. 'Oh my God, oh my God, oh my God."
At first, she thought the prize was $40,000, then realized later with her daughter the jackpot was actually much larger.
"I run up the stairs, and me and her run down the stairs, and she went on the computer. and said, 'Mommy, you're $40 million richer,' and I said, 'No way," Carreiro said.
"It still hasn't sunk in. you know my dad works so hard and we've been struggling so much. It's $40 million; it's so much money," said daughter Manuela.
- Boy critical after 90 minutes underwater in pond 26 min ago
- Blackhawks lose heartbreaking 3OT STL Game 1
- Boy, 9, recovering from East Chicago pit bull attack
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 44 min ago
- Lawsuit filed against cops accused of lying in court
- I-Team: Misconduct alleged at US Marshal's office
- I-Team: Warning about home loans
- Huntley votes to ban e-cigarettes in schools
- Man shot in Lincoln Square
- Beverly mom, children found safe in Wisconsin
- CTA Belmont bypass plan could affect 16 buildings
- Photos released in Yellow Line attack
- Investigation continues after boy dies in Whiting hit-and-run
- abcnews: Ferry Captain Among 1st to Abandon Ship
- 5 Smart Ways to Spend Your Tax Return Wisely
19 min ago
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos