Too fat to tan? Woman told she won't fit in tanning bed
April 23, 2013 (AKRON, Ohio) (WLS) -- A woman in Ohio said a tanning salon told her she was too fat to tan- after she'd paid for a membership.
Kelly McGrevey went to the local media with the story, and said since then she's been overwhelmed with support. And, she's gotten a refund from Aloha Tanning.
"I'm not really the person to stick up for yourself, anyways. That was like totally out of character for me to do that. I just want to say thank you to all my friends and my family, and all the people that I don't know that have been so supportive. All the Facebook messages that I've received, the phone calls that I've gotten, I just want to say thank you so much," McGrevey said.
Another Akron, Ohio, salon has offered McGrevey a month of free tanning.
"It's just disgusting. It's discrimination. I've busted an acrylic on the bed and I weigh 120 pounds. It really just depends where you put pressure at. Seventy dollars, it's a lot of money to somebody, and if it made her feel better that I could give her something, than I'd like to make her feel better. I think I'm going to take her up on that," Jackie Gamble, tanning salon owner, said.
- Chicago police officer shot on South Side 9 min ago
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- Good Samaritans rescue driver from burning van
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Man fatally shot by police in domestic dispute 34 min ago
- Brown's Chicken killer wins federal lawsuit
- Farewell held for local deployed soldiers
- Tinley Park hosts St. Patrick's Day parade
- Gay wedding expo celebrates marriage equality
- Fundraiser held for teen injured at ski park
- Orr Academy basketball player among 6 shot at party 58 min ago
- Ford Motor leader William Clay Ford dead
- Mexican culture celebrated at Navy Pier
- abcnews: Toddler with Rare Kidney Disease Beats Odds
- Chicago police officer shot on South Side
9 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos