Fargo dubbed America's drunkest city
January 14, 2014 (FARGO, N.D.) (WLS) -- A dubious title for Fargo, North Dakota, as it is said to be America's drunkest city.
A website looked at numbers from a national center for disease control study. It found that nearly 38 percent of the people surveyed said they'd had an occasion of binge or heavy drinking within the last 30 days.
Binge drinking is defined as 5 drinks for a man and 4 drinks for a woman in one sitting. This survey covers not only Fargo, but neighboring Moorhead, Minnesota.
One bar manager explained why he thinks so many people drink heavily.
"When it's negative 60 out it kind of warms you up to have a drink I guess," he said.
A bit of good news, recent statistics show a 33 percent drop in binge drinking among high school students between 2007 and 2013.
- Cardinal George: 'I expect to get through this'
- Search resumes Sunday for Malaysian jet
- Attempted abduction prompts community alert
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Child starts fire at Batavia apartment
- Mt. Prospect banquet hall closes suddenly
- Chase bank robbed on Northwest Side
- Cubs single-game tickets on sale
- 'Project Youth' provides lessons on teen pregnancy, more
- Bombing comment no threat to parade, police say
- Bill would ban SeaWorld orca shows in California
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea, Ukraine
- Dance marathon for Lurie Children's Hospital
- abcnews: Teens Help Save Man Stuck in Sewer
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos