Fargo dubbed America's drunkest city
January 14, 2014 (FARGO, N.D.) (WLS) -- A dubious title for Fargo, North Dakota, as it is said to be America's drunkest city.
A website looked at numbers from a national center for disease control study. It found that nearly 38 percent of the people surveyed said they'd had an occasion of binge or heavy drinking within the last 30 days.
Binge drinking is defined as 5 drinks for a man and 4 drinks for a woman in one sitting. This survey covers not only Fargo, but neighboring Moorhead, Minnesota.
One bar manager explained why he thinks so many people drink heavily.
"When it's negative 60 out it kind of warms you up to have a drink I guess," he said.
A bit of good news, recent statistics show a 33 percent drop in binge drinking among high school students between 2007 and 2013.
- Blackhawks lose heartbreaking 3OT STL Game 1
- Boy, 9, recovering from East Chicago pit bull attack
- Lawsuit filed against cops accused of lying in court
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 14 min ago
- I-Team: Misconduct alleged at US Marshal's office
- I-Team: Warning about home loans
- Huntley votes to ban e-cigarettes in schools
- Man shot in Lincoln Square
- Beverly mom, children found safe in Wisconsin
- CTA Belmont bypass plan could affect 16 buildings
- Photos released in Yellow Line attack
- Investigation continues after boy dies in Whiting hit-and-run
- Chicago woman owns first Ford Mustang ever sold
- abcnews: Ferry Captain Among 1st to Abandon Ship
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos