For Your Family
Teach children values that really matter
Monday, September 15, 2008
November 12, 2007 -- Parenting coach Karen Jacobson shares some tips for giving your children the gifts that really matter.
Many parents complain about kids misbehaving and not appreciating what they have. They want to know how to teach the values that really matter.
Jacobson says there is a new group of "at-risk" children growing up today and it's because of these parenting traps that a lot of families are falling into -- the trap of over-scheduling, over-stimulation, over-protection, over-involvement, over-praising, over-scheduling, over-indulging.
The research shows that the new "at-risk" population is children of affluence - college campuses across the nation are reporting that anxiety, depression, and drug and alcohol use are at an all time high largely because when these kids get on their own, they do not know how to cope (we well-meaning parents have protected them from struggle, disappointment and negative situations).
Jacobson suggests that parents take time to give children the gifts that really matter such as the gift of downtime, struggle, disappointment, empathy, chores, responsibility, limits, consequences, and mistakes.
For more information, visit www.parentingperspectives.com.
for your family
- CTA Red Line delays; No service 63rd to 95th 2 min ago
- Freezing rain reported around Wis. border 32 min ago
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Target credit card breach causes anger, frustration
- Report: Centrella could buy some Dominick's stores
- Rogers Park stabbing leaves woman, 21, blind; man charged
- More Chicago speed cameras to issue real tickets
- 4M passengers expected at Chicago's airports during holidays
- Man charged with fatal shooting of 12-year-old in 2012
- Deck the malls with security
- Cousin of Mass. gov, from Rockford, among 8 getting commutations
- Pastor defrocked after officiating son's gay marriage
- London Apollo Theatre collapse injures 79
- 7 in :77
- Freezing rain reported around Wis. border
32 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos