For Your Family
Nicky Morse: The Racing Chef
"The Racing Chef" travels across the country with Jeg Coughlin Jr., the four-time National Hot Rod Association (NHRA) defending champion and the rest of Coughlin family of racers.
Hamburgers, hot dogs and cheese fries are the food you usually find at racetracks. However, last weekend at the Route 68 Raceway in Joliet, at least one drag-racing race team was not eating fast food. Team Jegs (www.teamjegs.com) enjoyed gourmet meals prepared by Chef Nicky Morse in his kitchen on wheels. "The Racing Chef" travels across the country with Jeg Coughlin Jr., the four-time National Hot Rod Association (NHRA) defending champion and the rest of Coughlin family of racers.
Race car drivers usually spend all day at the track during competitions that typically take place over four days. Drivers and other team members do not have a chance to leave and get a nutritious meal. So Team Jegs hired Nicky as a full-time chef to solve that problem. Chef Nicky, now in his seventh season with the team, prepares lunch and dinner for 20 to 30 people on each race day. Living in London, Ohio in the off season, he travels around the country with Team Jegs from February to November. He specializes in French and Italian-style cooking and all of his food is prepared at the track in a customized industrial-equipped kitchen.
Chef Nicky has worked for a four star restaurant in Columbus, Ohio and has cooked on the set of several shows on Country Music Television (CMT). Look for his TV show "The Racing Chef" on Time Warner "On Demand."
Team Jegs competes in the NHRA POWERADE Drag Racing Series, one of the most popular forms of auto racing nationwide. The 24-race, $50-million series makes 22 stops across the United States, including Los Angeles, Chicago, Dallas, Houston, Indianapolis, St. Louis, Las Vegas, Seattle, Atlanta, Phoenix, San Francisco and Denver.
Chef Nicky sets up shop in the pits next to the mechanics and other team members. It can very hot in the pits during the summer season, so Nicky often prepares cool dishes. He shares his recipes for Blueberry Soup, Brussel Sprouts with Lemon and Walnuts, Gazpacho and Pineapple-Mango Milk Shake.
For more recipes and information, visit www.teamjegs.com/multimedia/recipes.asp
for your family
- Baby who died after being left home alone ID'd 11 min ago
- Thousands expected at Our Lady of Guadalupe shrine
- Video: I-Team Thursday at 10
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Wind Chill Advisory in effect for city, suburbs
- Chicago Skyway reopened after 5 injured in accident
- Renee Fleming, Yo Yo Ma celebrate CPS arts program
- Mariano's to hold 3 job fairs this week in city, suburbs
- Chicago Children's Choir alumni reunite to honor Mandela
- Family searching for missing Lansing man
- 2 moms seek answers in sons' police shooting deaths
- Stanley Wrice, alleged police torture victim, released from...
- Man sues, alleging victimization by convicted priest
- abcnews: How Tom Hanks became Walt Disney
- Baby found in car seat pronounced dead
24 min ago