For Your Family
Nicky Morse: The Racing Chef
"The Racing Chef" travels across the country with Jeg Coughlin Jr., the four-time National Hot Rod Association (NHRA) defending champion and the rest of Coughlin family of racers.
Hamburgers, hot dogs and cheese fries are the food you usually find at racetracks. However, last weekend at the Route 68 Raceway in Joliet, at least one drag-racing race team was not eating fast food. Team Jegs (www.teamjegs.com) enjoyed gourmet meals prepared by Chef Nicky Morse in his kitchen on wheels. "The Racing Chef" travels across the country with Jeg Coughlin Jr., the four-time National Hot Rod Association (NHRA) defending champion and the rest of Coughlin family of racers.
Race car drivers usually spend all day at the track during competitions that typically take place over four days. Drivers and other team members do not have a chance to leave and get a nutritious meal. So Team Jegs hired Nicky as a full-time chef to solve that problem. Chef Nicky, now in his seventh season with the team, prepares lunch and dinner for 20 to 30 people on each race day. Living in London, Ohio in the off season, he travels around the country with Team Jegs from February to November. He specializes in French and Italian-style cooking and all of his food is prepared at the track in a customized industrial-equipped kitchen.
Chef Nicky has worked for a four star restaurant in Columbus, Ohio and has cooked on the set of several shows on Country Music Television (CMT). Look for his TV show "The Racing Chef" on Time Warner "On Demand."
Team Jegs competes in the NHRA POWERADE Drag Racing Series, one of the most popular forms of auto racing nationwide. The 24-race, $50-million series makes 22 stops across the United States, including Los Angeles, Chicago, Dallas, Houston, Indianapolis, St. Louis, Las Vegas, Seattle, Atlanta, Phoenix, San Francisco and Denver.
Chef Nicky sets up shop in the pits next to the mechanics and other team members. It can very hot in the pits during the summer season, so Nicky often prepares cool dishes. He shares his recipes for Blueberry Soup, Brussel Sprouts with Lemon and Walnuts, Gazpacho and Pineapple-Mango Milk Shake.
For more recipes and information, visit www.teamjegs.com/multimedia/recipes.asp
for your family
- Man, 20, charged in Boystown sex assault 1 min ago
- Neighbors rescue kids from West Pullman fire 26 min ago
- Chicago casino plans to be heard at Wednesday hearing 49 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- I-Team: Illinois Poison Center hotline's cry for help
- Priest Michael O'Connell reinstated by archdiocese
- Mother questions why Harvey police shot son
- Man shot in Palos Heights home invasion 54 min ago
- Local runners preparing for Boston Marathon
- Loop bank robbery suspect arrested
- Driver charged with drunken driving at 118 mph on I-55 46 min ago
- Police fatally shoot 'vicious' dog on South Side
- Photos: Adorable meerkats befriend photographer
- abcnews: Experts: Pistorius May Have Stumbled on Stand