For Your Family
Preventing Summer Injuries
Summer is a great time to be outdoors but did you know that a popular summertime activity for children is actually the number one cause of sports-related head injuries?
Bicycling causes more traumatic brain injuries than football, but Dr. Gail Rosseau, neurosurgeon, Chicago Institute of Neurosurgery, shares some easy ways to prevent what can be fatal mistakes when it comes to summertime play.
Fact: Everyday in the U.S. a child dies from a cycling related injury.
Fact: Bicycle helmets can reduce the risk of a head injury by 85 percent and brain injury by 88 percent.
Fact: No more than 41 percent of child bicyclists use bicycle helmets.
Three steps to properly fit a helmet:
- When looking upward the front rim should be barely visible to the eye
- The Y of the side straps should meet just below the ear
- The chin strap should be snug against the chin
for your family
- McHenry, Lake counties prepare for freezing rain
- NW Side residents hold meeting on sex assault
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Glen Ellyn student accused of assaulting school staff member
- Rev. Al Sharpton holds meeting on Chicago gun violence
- Carol Stream Culver's raises money for child with leukemia
- Man thought to be Gacy victim reunited with family
- Bogus Target charges may not appear for months
- Woman charged after 30 dogs removed from home
- Maine West coach hazing trial put on hold until January
- 2 men killed within blocks of each other in South Shore
- No CO detectors in Skokie apartments where people sickened
- abcnews: Reddit Secret Santa User is Bill Gates