For Your Family
Saving for College
April 19, 2010 (WLS) -- These are the best options to save for college and not have to pay the sticker price for tuition.
At many public schools, the total cost of a four-year education is now close to $80,000. According to recent government figures, tuition has been rising at a rate 10 times faster than the median family income since 1979. So what is the best option to save for college? What if you're starting late when your child is older?
Let's break this down by age. If you're starting early, you just had a baby, there are couple of good options, first the education savings accounts with banks or mutual fund companies, how does that work, what are the pros and cons?
Education savings accounts
- set up at mutual fund companies or banks
- stock mutual funds for newborns
- add fixed income investments for 3rd or 4th graders
- has a cap on contributions per year
529 prepaid tuition plan
- locks in tuition at in-state public colleges at current prices
- state income tax deductions up to $10,000/year
529 savings plan
- called "bright start" in illinois
- more flexible but no guarantees (stock market driven)
- you choose an investment portfolio
If your child is in high school:
- invest more conservatively
- can still contribute to a 529 plan to earn tax deduction
- be careful not to increase taxable income which can impact child's eligibility for aid
Throughout this week, there is a huge initiative going on in the Chicago area called Money Smart Week. Many public and private entities are coming together to offer free class on financial literacy including saving for college.
University of Illinois Extension, Tax Breaks for Higher Education
FinAid: The Smart Student Guide to Financial Aid
IRS Publication 970, Tax Benefits for Education
Illinois prepaid tuition program, College Illinois!
Illinois college tuition savings program, Bright Start
for your family
- Winter storm could dump up to 8 inches of snow 24 min ago
- Allan Kustok found guilty in wife's 2010 murder 31 min ago
- School, Emergency Closings
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 21 min ago
- 3 people shot in car at 76th, Stony Island 42 min ago
- Retired CPD sergeant hospitalized after East Side shooting
- Appeals court accepts transcripts of Blago FBI wiretaps 40 min ago
- Repairs to city's aging sewer, water lines underway
- Combat Hate app launches in Chicago
- Olympic medalist welcomed back to Buffalo Grove school
- Ed Burke reflects after over 40 years as Alderman
- Polar plunge raises over $1M for Special Olympics
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- abcnews: Obama Shops At The Gap
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
21 min ago
- Winter storm could dump up to 8 inches of...
24 min ago
- Allan Kustok found guilty in wife's 2010...
31 min ago
- Missing Malaysia plane had Iranian asylum...
27 min ago