For Your Family
Saving for College
April 19, 2010 (WLS) -- These are the best options to save for college and not have to pay the sticker price for tuition.
At many public schools, the total cost of a four-year education is now close to $80,000. According to recent government figures, tuition has been rising at a rate 10 times faster than the median family income since 1979. So what is the best option to save for college? What if you're starting late when your child is older?
Let's break this down by age. If you're starting early, you just had a baby, there are couple of good options, first the education savings accounts with banks or mutual fund companies, how does that work, what are the pros and cons?
Education savings accounts
- set up at mutual fund companies or banks
- stock mutual funds for newborns
- add fixed income investments for 3rd or 4th graders
- has a cap on contributions per year
529 prepaid tuition plan
- locks in tuition at in-state public colleges at current prices
- state income tax deductions up to $10,000/year
529 savings plan
- called "bright start" in illinois
- more flexible but no guarantees (stock market driven)
- you choose an investment portfolio
If your child is in high school:
- invest more conservatively
- can still contribute to a 529 plan to earn tax deduction
- be careful not to increase taxable income which can impact child's eligibility for aid
Throughout this week, there is a huge initiative going on in the Chicago area called Money Smart Week. Many public and private entities are coming together to offer free class on financial literacy including saving for college.
University of Illinois Extension, Tax Breaks for Higher Education
FinAid: The Smart Student Guide to Financial Aid
IRS Publication 970, Tax Benefits for Education
Illinois prepaid tuition program, College Illinois!
Illinois college tuition savings program, Bright Start
for your family
- Winning Powerball numbers announced 26 min ago
- Teachers march to protest proposed school closings
- Video: Monday @ 10: Expanded Gambling
- ABC7 Weather Forecast 29 min ago
- 12 arrested after rowdiness reports near Michigan Avenue
- Blackhawks fall to Red Wings 4-1, series evened, 1-1
- Triple Crown spoiled; Oxbow upsets Orb
- Illinois Lottery bounced checks for 8 winners
- Official: 50 to 60 injured in Virginia parade crash
- 2 split $190M Mega Millions jackpot
- Shootings leave 3 dead, several injured
- Man charged with recording video in hospital bathroom
- Coast Guard reminding boaters of maritime safety
- abcnews: 13 Weird Things You Can Buy With Bitcoin
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
29 min ago
- CTA Red Line work to begin early Sunday...
50 min ago