For Your Family
101 Best and Brightest Companies in Chicago
August 2, 2010 (WLS) -- Work-life balance -- we've all heard the catch phrase.
But when it comes to balancing your personal life and your career, two local companies are going above and beyond. They're in the running to be named one of the best companies in Chicago when it comes to work-life balance.
With a view from the terrace, you can enjoy fresh fruit every day free, free Starbucks coffee and then make your way up to the penthouse lounge. Nope, it's not just for special clients, but for every employee at Assurance Agency. It's an insurance brokerage based in Schaumburg and a leading contender to be named one of Chicago's elite companies when it comes to employees' work-life balance.
"We put our emphasis on our employees. They're first in everything we do. We know in turn that will translate into satisfied clients of Assurance," said Lisa Pinion.
It's not just talk. Employees get their birthdays off, furthering their education is paid for by the company, balloons recognize special achievements along with a $100 bill. There's a workout facility, free of course. And yes, they play Nintendo Wii to blow off steam.
"We have a dry cleaning service [and] Dinner by Design delivered right to the office," said Pinion.
On a much smaller scale, the Chicago branch of BGT in Wicker Park prides itself in having a creative and very laidback environment. The interactive marketing agency is based in Miami. They just started their Chicago branch not too long ago, continuing their founder's philosophy.
"One of our founders, managing partners, says he spent time building this BGT ethos, work is important, life is important and both deserve your time and energy," said Dave Choate, BGT.
At BGT, you can bring your dog to work. Relax in the meditation room. Enjoy the very cafe-like kitchen where employees make ice cream on Thursdays and get free lunch on Fridays. It's a small operation with just 15 employees right now, but they hope to grow with their parent company, which employs hundreds around the country.
"We've never had a layoff in 15 years. We've been around, constantly been growing even through recession, and it's about really respecting our employees, getting the most out of them, giving them the most, so they stay happy with us," said Choate.
The award they're up for is called 101 Best and Brightest companies to work for in Chicago. And they're in the elite category of work-life balance.Click here for the full list of 101.
for your family, judy hsu
- LSD reopens after suspicious package investigated 1 min ago
- Bond denied for suspect in Boystown sex assault 1 min ago
- UIC faculty strike averted, tentative deal reached
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Chicago casino plans to be heard at Wednesday hearing
- Carl Sandburg H.S. on 'soft lockdown'
- Bucktown water main break gushes for hours
- Cubs unveil plans for Wrigley's 100th birthday
- Neighbors rescue kids from West Pullman fire
- Michelle Obama to meet with CPS students in DC
- Amber Creek murder suspect appears at preliminary hearing
- Resurfacing project begins to fill potholes
- Gurnee man sentenced in sex assaults of 2 kids
- Huntley teen charged, allegedly crashed SUV into home
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos