For Your Family
For Your Family: Child Sexual Abuse
April 23, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- In this "For Your Family," ABC7 covers a very serious and important topic: the warning signs of one of the most under-reported crimes in the country, sexual abuse. The victims are children who suffer in silence.
Visiting Monday was the Executive Director Char Rivette of Chicago Children's Advocacy Center, a non-profit involved in child abuse investigations in Chicago.
April is child abuse prevention month, and there is a public campaign happening next week called "Voices for 3000" in Chicago, asking local residents to be the voice.
Some numbers compiled from various national studies:
-60 percent of child sexual abuse cases go unreported.
- 90 percent of sexually abused children know their abusers.
- 25 percent of adults who at some point suspected a child was being abused never spoke up.
We saw this with the high-profile Penn State University case, which is still going through the courts.
Part of the public campaign is to get everyone paying attention to warning signs. It could be a neighbor, it could be your own child, or your child's friend. What are the warning signs that people should pay attention to?
- unusual relaltionship with another adult
- sudden behavior changes in the child
- sudden fear of being around a particular person
- sudden change in not wanting to go to school, participate in physical activities
- fear of showering
- signs of anxiety like bedwetting
On the other hand, we don't want people to jump to a quick conclusion. If you suspect something might be wrong, you want to keep the communication line open with that child and let them know somebody cares.
If you'd like more information about child sexual abuse warning signs, visit www.voicesfor3000.org
for your family, judy hsu
- Officials try to ID body near missing woman's home
- Will County workers reach strike-ending deal 33 min ago
- Ventra progress report shows major improvement
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Cyber Safety Tips During the Holidays
- Illinois pension battle brewing after law passes
- Meningitis at other universities puts NU on alert
- Chicago Dearborn bike lane rated best in America
- Official shaves 40-year-old mustache for cancer awareness 58 min ago
- William Cellini to be released from prison
- SW Side teen recants story about alley sex assault
- Naperville fights to restrict MMA events
- Chicago boasts nation's best doughnut in web ranking
- abcnews: Truck carrying radioactive material stolen
- 7 in :77