For Your Family
For Your Family: Summer Poison Dangers
July 23, 2012 (WLS) -- Did you know calls to the Illinois Poison Center increase by 20 percent during the hot summer months?
In this For Your Family, ABC7 Chicago takes a look at why that is and what you should do if you have an emergency with a potentially toxic substance.
Erin Pallasch, a specialist with the Illinois Poison Center, visited the State Street Studio with some helpful information.
According to the poison center, these are the top five most common substances people call about during the summer:
Swimming pool chemicals
Poisonous plants and berries (e.g. of yew berries, fox glove, pokeweed)
Reactions to bug and spider bites
For answers to question about potentially toxic substances or any exposure to them, call the poison center hotline at 1-800-222-1222. Experts are available 24 hours a day.
for your family
- Bicyclist struck, killed by car on West Side 1 min ago
- Freeze hits Chicago area, snow expected Sunday 1 min ago
- ABC 7 Special: Monday Night Monsters
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Nelson Mandela remembrances held in Chicago, around world
- ComEd vault fire in West Loop
- Astor House tenants face eviction
- New church opens for fast-growing congregation
- Cancer patient without heat after power shut off
- 'Peeping Tom' caught watching woman before assault
- Dylan's electric guitar sells for nearly $1M
- Couples renew marriage vows at Field Museum
- Photos: Pearl Harbor anniversary
- abcnews: Alleged Cannibal Run Hotel With Grilling Area
- Freeze hits Chicago area, snow expected...
1 min ago
- Bicyclist struck, killed by car on West Side
1 min ago