For Your Family
For Your Family: Summer Poison Dangers
July 23, 2012 (WLS) -- Did you know calls to the Illinois Poison Center increase by 20 percent during the hot summer months?
In this For Your Family, ABC7 Chicago takes a look at why that is and what you should do if you have an emergency with a potentially toxic substance.
Erin Pallasch, a specialist with the Illinois Poison Center, visited the State Street Studio with some helpful information.
According to the poison center, these are the top five most common substances people call about during the summer:
Swimming pool chemicals
Poisonous plants and berries (e.g. of yew berries, fox glove, pokeweed)
Reactions to bug and spider bites
For answers to question about potentially toxic substances or any exposure to them, call the poison center hotline at 1-800-222-1222. Experts are available 24 hours a day.
for your family
- CPD officer killed in crash after police chase 53 min ago
- Brief warm-up followed by snow 52 min ago
- Missing plane may have created seismic event, Chinese researchers say
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 50 min ago
- Cops: Sober man testing vehicle breathalyzer causes crash
- Mundelein girl in court again after half-sister's murder
- Cocaine stash found in Aurora man's home 35 min ago
- 2 accused of videotaping abuse at nursing home 10 min ago
- Pi Day celebrated on 3.14 with Chicago specials
- Photos: Chicago police officer killed in crash
- SUV rolls off Jane Addams exit ramp in Rosemont
- Northwestern University unveils $3.75B campaign
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL
- abcnews: Cops Seek Bad Witch Who Stole Ruby Red... 6 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
50 min ago
- 7 in 77
- CPD officer killed in crash after police...
53 min ago