Galaxie cashes customers' checks, shuts doors
July 26, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Galaxie Home Improvements, one of the Chicago area's largest home remodelers, has declared bankruptcy.
Helen McKinney used Galaxie for her Chatham kitchen remodel last summer, and wanted to update the bathroom this spring. She's says the Galaxie salesman called her.
"He asked me, 'Helen are you ready to do that other work again?' And I thought about it and I said, 'Yes,'" Helen McKinney.
What McKinney didn't realize was that since last she used Galaxie, the company's rating with the Better Business Bureau dropped to an F. Last week Galaxie filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy after cashing McKinney's check for $4,000.
"I'm just disgusted. $4,000, you just don't have to give away," McKinney said.
The bankruptcy filing lists hundreds of thousands of dollars of Galaxie's debt. The list of debt includes contractors, supplies and media outlets for advertising -- including WLS.
The Better Business Bureau of Chicago and Northern Illinois received 15 complaints about Galaxie in three weeks.
"People just don't take the time necessary to do their homework- and it can cost them thousands," Steve Bernas, Better Business Bureau said. Bernas recommends homeowners do a little research on the company they want to use by checking them out at chicago.bbb.org
At Galaxie in Lincolnwood, the doors are locked. The attorney representing the company says the home renovation business is shutdown and what happens to its assets, its customers and its employees will be up to a bankruptcy judge.
"They were supposed to start the last week but nobody showed up," McKinney said. "I am a retiree on a fixed income and that does not come easily."
consumer, leah hope
- Police chase, standoff closes LSD for hours 1 min ago
- Chicago celebrates St. Patrick's Day 2014
- Suspect in officer's death held on $10 mil bond
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Teen stabbed during Little Village robbery 38 min ago
- Des Plaines Oasis closing for good Sunday night
- GOP gubernatorial candidates make last campaign push
- Parolee charged in fatal shooting
- Gary man shot, killed at South Side party
- Elmwood Park approves video gambling in restaurants
- Police officer among injured in Elgin crash
- Calif. billionaire buys record life insurance policy
- Photos: St. Patrick's Day in Chicago
- abcnews: Honda Recalls 900,000 Odyssey Minivans 55 min ago