BP recalling regular unleaded fuel in Northwest Indiana
August 20, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- BP is alerting Northwest Indiana fuel distributors that the company is recalling unleaded regular gasoline that was shipped from the company's Whiting fuel storage terminal between August 13th and 17th, ABC7 has learned.
The fuel could cause problems for hundreds of motorists.
The company says it believes that fuel stored in a tank at the storage depot could cause hard starting, stalling and other drivability issues.
ABC7 has been told that the fuel may have been purchased by motorists going to BP and other retail outlets in Northwest Indiana during the past seven days.
Palmer Myers could tell something was wrong immediately when he tried to start his car Monday morning after filling up the gas tank last week.
"I just turned the key over and heard it sputtering," he told ABC7. "I just figured the end is near."
Myers was fortunate. His car did start, though it ran roughly until it warmed up.
The Art Hill Auto Group dealership took in more than a dozen that failed to start Monday. Eventually, mechanics determined it was a problem with the gas.
"It is a bad gas issue -- what part of the gas is bad we don't know at this point," said Tim Schafer, Art Hill Auto Group.
Schafer estimates each car he is fixing, with all the work cleaning out the systems, will cost an average of $1,200. And it's not covered under new car warranties.
"Unfortunately, my wife, she has the same problem with her car," he said. "It's just one thing after another."
- For more information: BP Customer Hotline (800) 333-3991
- Oklahoma tornado death toll in Moore at 24 18 min ago
- Chicago Weather: Storms sweep through area
- ID sought for woman's body burned in Avondale Dumpster
- 2 charged in Markham man's murder
- 3 vehicles involved in Oswego head-on collision
- CTA robberies reported at Loop train stations
- Wife douses husband with beer after Wrigley home run
- Detroit Red Wings beat Chicago Blackhawks 3-1
- I-Team: Expanded gambling in Illinois
- Photos: Milwaukee Pug Fest 2013
- abcnews: 200-Lbs. Bear Pulled From Colorado Springs...
- 7 in :77
- Oklahoma tornado death toll in Moore at 24
18 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos