BP recalling regular unleaded fuel in Northwest Indiana
August 20, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- BP is alerting Northwest Indiana fuel distributors that the company is recalling unleaded regular gasoline that was shipped from the company's Whiting fuel storage terminal between August 13th and 17th, ABC7 has learned.
The fuel could cause problems for hundreds of motorists.
The company says it believes that fuel stored in a tank at the storage depot could cause hard starting, stalling and other drivability issues.
ABC7 has been told that the fuel may have been purchased by motorists going to BP and other retail outlets in Northwest Indiana during the past seven days.
Palmer Myers could tell something was wrong immediately when he tried to start his car Monday morning after filling up the gas tank last week.
"I just turned the key over and heard it sputtering," he told ABC7. "I just figured the end is near."
Myers was fortunate. His car did start, though it ran roughly until it warmed up.
The Art Hill Auto Group dealership took in more than a dozen that failed to start Monday. Eventually, mechanics determined it was a problem with the gas.
"It is a bad gas issue -- what part of the gas is bad we don't know at this point," said Tim Schafer, Art Hill Auto Group.
Schafer estimates each car he is fixing, with all the work cleaning out the systems, will cost an average of $1,200. And it's not covered under new car warranties.
"Unfortunately, my wife, she has the same problem with her car," he said. "It's just one thing after another."
- For more information: BP Customer Hotline (800) 333-3991
- CPD officer killed in crash after police chase
- Brief warm-up followed by snow
- Missing plane may have created seismic event, Chinese researchers say
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Cops: Sober man testing vehicle breathalyzer causes crash 49 min ago
- Mundelein girl in court again after half-sister's murder
- Former suburban Dominick's to become Piggly Wiggly 58 min ago
- Ventra system only way to pay by July 1 52 min ago
- Cocaine stash found in Aurora man's home
- 2 accused of videotaping abuse at nursing home 27 min ago
- Pi Day celebrated on 3.14 with Chicago specials
- Photos: Chicago police officer killed in crash
- SUV rolls off Jane Addams exit ramp in Rosemont
- abcnews: Cops Seek Bad Witch Who Stole Ruby Red...
- John Hancock observatory to Tilt
53 min ago