Illinois firm recalls bratwurst products
September 21, 2012 (RELEASE) (WLS) -- Makowski's Real Sausage Co., a Chicago, Ill., establishment is recalling approximately 1,305 pounds of cooked bratwurst sausage products because of misbranding and the undeclared allergen, milk, that is not declared on the label.
The products subject to recall include:
- 10-lb. packages of "Real Sausage Co. COOKED WHITE BRATWURST 4-1"
- 10-lb. packages of "Real Sausage Co. COOKED WHITE BRATWURST 3-1"
The products also bear the establishment number "EST. 6844" inside the USDA mark of inspection and the Julian dates of: 17812, 18812, 25112, 25712 or 26512. The products were produced June 25, July 5, Sept. 6, Sept. 12, and Sept. 20, 2012 and were shipped to foodservice distributors for hotel, restaurant and other institutional use throughout Illinois.
The problem was discovered by FSIS during a routine label review and may have occurred due to a misprinting of the product's label. FSIS and the company have received no reports of adverse reactions due to consumption of these products. Anyone concerned about a reaction should contact a healthcare provider.
FSIS routinely conducts recall effectiveness checks to verify recalling firms notify their customers of the recall and that steps are taken to make certain that the product is no longer available to consumers.
Consumers and media with questions about the recall should contact the company's president, Nicole Makowski, at (312) 842-5330.
Consumers with food safety questions can "Ask Karen," the FSIS virtual representative available 24 hours a day at AskKaren.gov or via smartphone at m.askkaren.gov. "Ask Karen" live chat services are available Monday through Friday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. ET. The toll-free USDA Meat and Poultry Hotline 1-888-MPHotline (1-888-674-6854) is available in English and Spanish and can be reached from l0 a.m. to 4 p.m. (Eastern Time) Monday through Friday. Recorded food safety messages are available 24 hours a day.
- Frigid temps, sub-zero wind chills settle in
- Driver questioned in deadly Skokie crash
- ABC 7 Special: Monday Night Monsters
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Bank robbery suspect sought by FBI
- Pearl Harbor bombing anniversary marked
- Amputee Coalition camp builds support for youth
- Nelson Mandela condolence books open, tribute held
- Mega Millions winning numbers drawn for $297M
- Girl, 13, charged in Olympia Fields fatal crash that killed boy
- Making Your Own Candy Canes
- Video: The Ditka you didn't know
- Photos: Christmas Tree Ship arrives at Navy Pier
- abcnews: Alleged Cannibal Run Hotel With Grilling Area