Consumer Reports Price Index
December 11, 2012 -- For the economy, the run-up to the holidays is critical. Spending is essential to keep many businesses afloat. To open their wallets, people have to feel confident about their financial situation. But the latest Consumer Reports Index uncovers a problem with an important segment of the population.
Most Americans don't make anywhere near $100,0000 a year. But those who do are crucial;their spending helps keeps the economy ticking.
This months' Consumer Reports Index found the sentiment among wealthy Americans dropped sharply in the past month. It now hovers around 50 like everyone else.
That number means 50 percent think their financial situation is worse than it was a year ago.
Those findings echoed in our Trouble Tracker Index, which shows financial problems are high for people in all income levels -with a marked jump in problems among the more affluent.
Those financial problems include not being able to afford a medical bill, missing a loan payment, or losing a job.
All this means challenges for retailers during this critical period of holiday spending. Our survey finds although spending was up in the past 30 days, it lags last year's numbers for the same period by a wide margin.
And when we asked about spending plans for the coming month, they were also significantly down from a year ago.
The Consumer Reports Index also measures employment. It, too, was down - more people lost jobs than gained them in the past month. The biggest problem was among those earning less than 50-thousand dollars a year.
All Consumer Reports Material Copyright 2008. Consumers Union of U.S. Inc. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Consumer Reports is a not for profit organization which accepts no advertising. It has no commercial relationship with any advertiser or sponsor on this site. For more information visit consumerreports.org.
- Stagg High School students, teacher fall ill 19 min ago
- Chicago weather: Temps fall by end of week
- Video: Ditka Talks: Thursday @ 10 PM 23 min ago
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- 3 in custody in Homewood bank robbery 25 min ago
- Photos: La Porte County stolen items on display
- Attempted child abduction reported on West Side 34 min ago
- Missing woman's body found in Libertyville 3 min ago
- CTA Red Line resumes service 47th to 95th/Dan Ryan
- Midlothian officer faces excessive force charges
- Wonder Lake man charged with sexually abusing juvenile
- 'Blues Brothers' mall chase recreated with...
- Paul Konerko signs White Sox 1-year extension
- abcnews: Truck carrying radioactive material stolen
- La Porte County burglary ring busted
27 min ago
- Missing woman's body found near Libertyville
13 min ago
- Ditka Talks: Thursday @ 10 PM
23 min ago