Prosecco takes fizz out of European champagne sales
December 31, 2012 (WLS) -- A new kind of bubbly is turning into a popular choice to toast the New Year.
Prosecco, a sparkling Italian wine, is taking the fizz out of champagne in Europe. One top merchant in the UK predicts the same thing will happen in the United States.
The best-selling prosecco is priced at about $16 a bottle, half the cost of a bottle of champagne.
Champagne sales in the u-k have fallen 9 percent this year.
Sparkling wine sales -- including prosecco -- are up 6 percent.
- Retired CPD sergeant critical after SE Side shooting
- Blue Line stop reopens after water main break
- Flight 370: Missing Malaysia plane search expands 25 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Chicago Weather: Snow to arrive Tuesday
- Car crashes into building in Belmont Cragin
- 1 dead, 8 injured in Chicago shootings Monday night
- $7 million shoplifting suspect due in court, parents jailed
- 5 hurt in crash on Aurora bridge
- Gary shooting: 1 dead, at least 2 others injured
- Suburban police to begin carrying Narcan
- Photos: Highest-paid musicians, according to... 34 min ago
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- abcnews: Happy Couples Share 6 Common Habits
- 7 in :77