Prosecco takes fizz out of European champagne sales
December 31, 2012 (WLS) -- A new kind of bubbly is turning into a popular choice to toast the New Year.
Prosecco, a sparkling Italian wine, is taking the fizz out of champagne in Europe. One top merchant in the UK predicts the same thing will happen in the United States.
The best-selling prosecco is priced at about $16 a bottle, half the cost of a bottle of champagne.
Champagne sales in the u-k have fallen 9 percent this year.
Sparkling wine sales -- including prosecco -- are up 6 percent.
- Fire destroys Gary church, vacant building 26 min ago
- Fast-food workers protest low wages
- Video: Ditka Talks: Thursday @ 10 PM
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- CTA Blue Line to receive $492M investment 14 min ago
- 2 sex assault attempts reported in Humboldt Park 19 min ago
- Coyote interrupts morning rush on I-55 17 min ago
- Homeowner tied up during La Grange Park robbery 10 min ago
- 2 men charged with felony mail theft 46 min ago
- Woman, 23, missing from Lincoln Square
- 2 men arrested on drug charges
- Chicago Bears visit Washington IL as tornado communities brace...
- abcnews: Meet Wonder Woman: Gal Gadot
- 7 in :77
- Fire destroys Gary church, vacant building
26 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos