Where's my refund? IRS website overwhelmed
February 15, 2013 (WLS) -- The Internal Revenue Service reports being overrun with eager taxpayers looking for their refunds.
The IRS says its website Where's my refund? and smart phone app are updated once a day - usually overnight.
The agency posts when the tax return is received, when the refund is approved and when the refund is sent. They're telling people there's no need to check the website or app multiple times a day.
"I think what we're seeing is just part of the natural evolution in the refund process," said IRS spokesman Terry Lemons. "Twenty-five years ago, you desperately checked the mailbox every day."
Lemons said the number of inquiries is up over last year, probably because it is easier to check on smartphones and computer tablets.
Nine out of 10 taxpayers typically receive refunds in less than 21 days when they file returns online and get refunds deposited directly into bank accounts, the agency said.
The IRS is receiving more than 1 million returns a day and volume is expected to increase in the coming days, Lemons said. About 75 percent of individual filers get refunds. Last year they averaged $2,803.
"Every year our most common question is about people's refunds," Lemons said. "For a lot of folks this is the biggest check they will see all year."
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Falling ice smashes car windshield in West Loop 56 min ago
- Rat problem could increase with spring thaw
- Teenager sexually assaulted in Logan Square
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- MS Awareness Month events in Chicago area
- Catalytic converters stolen from cars in Chicago Lawn
- I-55 rest stop dedicated to fallen state trooper 47 min ago
- Priest: Billboard with assault weapon 'disrespectful'
- Potholes prompt revamped street paving plan
- CPS student's murder remains unsolved 5 years later
- Armed robberies prompt alert in South Shore
- Ohio Turnpike crash kills 3; Victims ID'd
- Chicago River to be dyed green Saturday morning
- abcnews: Cracked Dam Leads to Human Remains
- Falling ice smashes car windshield in West...
56 min ago