Debit card swipe fees not going anywhere
March 6, 2013 (WLS) -- The government will not be cutting the fees charged for swiping your debit card.
Merchants and the financial industry are divided over the Federal Reserve bank's rule on swipe fees.
Retailers wanted lower fee limits.
Banks and debit card companies say the cap on fees works against consumers because it forces the industry to scale back on free checking programs and other consumer banking rewards.
- Chicago celebrates St. Patrick's Day 2014
- Murder charges in crash that killed officer
- Photos: Comedian David Brenner throughout the years PHOTOS
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Big Wheel Race in West Dundee
- Man falls to ramp leading to Chicago River
- Oprah sells Harpo Studios complex in West Loop
- Body found in Indiana ID'd as missing woman Cathryn McGill
- Chicago archdiocese to release more abuse files
- Chicago targets in terrorist crosshairs, new al Qaeda magazine...
- Former inmate lawsuit alleges excessive force
- 2 arrested in Robbins burglary at site of triple murder
- Malaysian leader: Plane's disappearance deliberate
- abcnews: Missing plane a 'deliberate act,' Malaysia...