Manda meat recall affects 20,166 lbs. of roast beef, more
April 15, 2013 -- A Louisiana meat-packing company has recalled 20,166 pounds of potentially bacteria-tainted cooked roast beef deli meat.
The U.S. Department of Agriculture's Food Safety and Inspection Service said Wednesday that Manda Packing Co., based in Baker, is recalling the meat that may be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes. Food contaminated with the bacterium can cause listeriosis, an uncommon but potentially fatal disease.
The possibly tainted products were packed Feb. 27 and shipped for distribution and to retail deli stores in Louisiana, Mississippi, Texas, Florida, Alabama, Oklahoma, Illinois and Tennessee.
The recall includes Manda Supreme Roast Beef, Four Star Cajun Roast Beef, Four Star Roast Beef, Cajun Prize Roast Beef, Manda Supreme Natural Roast Beef, Manda Natural Roast Beef, Manda New Orleans Style
The Manda Packing Company recall announced this past week now includes 468,000 pounds of roast beef, ham, turkey breast, tasso pork, ham shanks, hog headcheese, corned beef, and pastrami.
The products were shipped to retailers in Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Texas.
The USDA Food Safety and Inspection Service listed eight types of meat sold under 41 different names with various "sell by" dates. Its news release said some of the products may have been sliced at retail delis, and if so will not bear packaging information.
"Healthy people rarely contract listeriosis," the statement said. But the disease can be serious and sometimes fatal for those with weakened immune systems, and it can cause miscarriages and stillbirths.
"We are committed to work with USDA in reviewing and enhancing our food safety system so we can continue to ensure that our products are safe, wholesome and worthy of our brand name," Josh Yarborough, director of quality assurance for Manda, said in Saturday's statement.
USDA news release: www.fsis.usda.gov/News_&_Events/Recall_028_2013_Expanded/index.asp
Manda Meat Packing statement:
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Naperville fire kills 2, injures 3 3 min ago
- Cragin on alert after girl beaten, sexually assaulted
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Mega Millions drawing leads to $1M ticket in Chicago 17 min ago
- ADM to move headquarters to Chicago
- Illini grad to go for spacewalk on International Space Station 41 min ago
- Chicago FOP president suspended
- CTA Red Line shooting injures man at Argyle
- Aurora house fire injures 3; 4 dogs escape safe 46 min ago
- Boy, 16, critically wounded in Little Village shooting
- Report: CPS headquarters could move
- Rodman returns to N. Korea on basketball diplomacy trip
- abcnews: Pope's Christmas Message: Serve The Poor
- Naperville fire kills 2, injures 3
3 min ago
- Mega Millions drawing leads to $1M ticket...
17 min ago