Blackhawks bars: Where to watch the game -- in Chicago, or out of town
May 29, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- The top Blackhawks bar in Chicago is actually a pizza place, according to Fanatic, a new app that lets sports fans find the best places to watch games.
Pequod's is followed by Crossroads, Duffy's Tavern and Grille, and Theory. But that's just in Chicago -- and it changes constantly, according to Fanatic marketing manager Jon Keselica.
"More people check in at different venues, those locations move up [in the list]," Keselica said.
It works like this: sports fans download the Fanatic app at iTunes (android version set for release in the next few weeks), and check in at the bar or restaurant or wherever they're watching the game, kind of like on the popular social network Foursquare. Only Fanatic is targeted at sports fans and ranks people who are signed up against their friends and other Fanatic users in the area.
Charlie Connell is one of the top Fanatic Blackhawks fans, according to the app. He's traveling for work, but he wants to watch Game 7 of the playoffs on Wednesday night with other Chicago fans.
"I'm in New York for work right now, and I used [Fanatic] to figure out where Blackhawks fans are going to be, and check that I'm not going to a Redwings bar," Connell said Wednesday. "I don't want to get stuck at a Redwings bar tonight."
"No matter where you are, you can pick up your phone and click on a list that are the best places to watch the Blackhawks [or] Cubs near you, even if you're in New York, or Detroit, Los Angeles, around the world," Keselica said. Same goes for Sox and Bears.
The top cities using Fanatic, which officially launched in January, are New York, Chicago, Los Angeles and Washington, D.C. And those numbers are growing- especially in Chicago due to playoff runs by the Chicago Bulls and Blackhawks. Keselica said there are international users, too.
Detroit Redwings fans that live in Chicago are also using Fanatic. They'll likely be at Tin Lizzie and Avenue Tavern, according to the App, for Game 7 of the playoff series.
"Blackhawks fans might want to avoid them tonight," Keselica said.
Interestingly enough, the most popular place for watching the Blackhawks is actually an NYC bar, according to Fanatic. But that can change- and probably will- as more Chicagoans download and use the app.
- Carbon monoxide hospitalizes 12 Skokie residents 7 min ago
- Boy, 13, describes Aurora home invasion
- Video: I-Team Mall Security
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Target: 40M card accounts may be breached 32 min ago
- Libertyville man, 66, claims attack by hospital security
- Janet Rowley, U of C cancer research pioneer, dies at 88
- Maine West coach trial gets testimony from ex-soccer player
- Mega Millions drawing leads to $1M ticket in Chicago
- Ga lottery winner claims Mega Millions prize
- Naperville fire kills 2, injures 3
- Cardinal George celebrates 50 years in priesthood
- Illini grad to go for spacewalk on International Space Station
- abcnews: 'Duck Dynasty' Puts Star on Hiatus
- Holiday Shopping Tips from the BBB
5 min ago