Dunkin' Donuts gluten-free options coming
June 21, 2013 (WLS) -- When you think of healthy eating, does Dunkin' Donuts cross your mind?
Well, the breakfast chain is gearing up to serve gluten-free products. Dunkin' Donuts says it plans to offer gluten-free cinnamon-sugar donuts and blueberry muffins -- by the end of this year.
Gluten is the major protein found in grains like wheat, barley and rye, as well as in some deli meats and other packaged products.
For people with a condition known as celiac disease -- about 1-percent of the population -- even small amounts of gluten can prompt severe discomfort.
That announcement comes after the company's CEO told consumers not to expect to see Dunkin' Donuts revive its famous "Time to make the doughnuts" ad campaign anytime soon.
Paul Carbone, chief financial officer for Dunkin Brands Group Inc., said at the Jefferies Global Consumer Conference Tuesday that the company gets asked all the time when it's going to bring back the ad starring the perpetually tired baker who gets up early every morning to make doughnuts.
"He's not coming back," Carbone said, noting that the chain has shifted toward beverages, which are the "holy grail" when it comes to profitability.
Dunkin' says the "Time to make the doughnuts" ads ran for 15 years until 1997, when the actor who played Fred the Baker announced his retirement under a giant inflatable doughnut in Boston.
The actor, Michael Vale, died in 2005.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Woman stabbed after leaving Wicker Park nightclub 10 min ago
- Yik Yak disabled in Chicago amid bullying concerns
- Campaign to curb military sex assaults continues 47 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 5 min ago
- Elderly woman dead after fire in Woodstock 48 min ago
- Superintendent reprimanded after DUI arrest 28 min ago
- Body found near home of woman missing 2 years
- Man falls from Wisconsin Dells roller coaster
- Chicago Tribune endorses Bruce Rauner in GOP primary
- College student found dead on Bannockburn campus
- Naperville man attempting to run 56 miles in 56 hours
- Kustok's daughter not called to stand as defense begins
- Elmhurst Armpit Orchestra in St. Patrick's Day parade
- abcnews: Family Takes on Critics After Lung Transplant
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
5 min ago
- Campaign to curb military sex assaults...
47 min ago