Olive Garden says deals working; Darden 4Q profits down
June 21, 2013 (WLS) -- Some popular restaurant chains say their menu price cuts are paying off.
Darden, the parent company of Olive Garden and Red Lobster, says deals like their 2-for-$25 dinner specials helped drive in customers in the last quarter.
The restaurants plan to promote more menu deals in the year ahead in hopes of luring more customers. Olive Garden sales are up 5 percent due to the price cuts.
Darden's fourth-quarter net income fell 12 percent on rising costs and expenses.
Comparable sales at its Olive Garden, Red Lobster and LongHorn Steakhouse restaurants rose 2.2 percent thanks to improving traffic.
For the period ended May 26, Darden Restaurants Inc. earned $133.2 million, or $1.01 per share. That compares with $151.2 million, or $1.15 per share, a year ago.
Removing acquisition-related costs, earnings were $1.02 per share, two cents shy of Wall Street estimates.
Revenue climbed 11 percent to $2.3 billion.
Darden, based in Orlando, Fla., said Friday that it expects fiscal 2014 adjusted earnings per share to be up between 4 percent and 6 percent.
The company raised its quarterly dividend 10 percent, to 55 cents per share.
Shares slipped less than 1 percent in premarket trading.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Police chase, standoff closes LSD at Fullerton 58 min ago
- Chicago celebrates St. Patrick's Day 2014
- Suspect in officer's death held on $10 mil bond 50 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 43 min ago
- Teen stabbed during Little Village robbery
- Des Plaines Oasis closing for good Sunday night
- GOP gubernatorial candidates make last campaign push 11 min ago
- Parolee charged in fatal shooting
- Gary man shot, killed at South Side party
- Elmwood Park approves video gambling in restaurants
- Police officer among injured in Elgin crash
- Calif. billionaire buys record life insurance policy 25 min ago
- Photos: St. Patrick's Day in Chicago
- abcnews: Curious Case of L.A.'s Tattooed Ted Cruz...
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
43 min ago