Scholarships cover larger portion of college tuition than parents: Report
July 23, 2013 (WLS) -- Parents are picking up less of their children's college costs, while grants and scholarships now have the top role in covering the bills.
That's according to a report released Tuesday from Sallie Mae and IPSOS Public Affairs.
The report finds that last year, the average family turned to grants and scholarships to cover 30 percent of college costs.
Parents' income and savings and student borrowing covered the rest.
- Off-duty sheriff's officer shot in Bellwood
- Busiest holiday travel days at O'Hare, Midway
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Bank robber tied to Evanston tobacco shop murders
- 3 injured after Metra train hits vehicle in Des Plaines
- Illini grad Mike Hopkins prepares for spacewalk outside ISS
- Freezing rain north, west of Chicago
- Bolingbrook firefighters, Meijer donate gift cards to kids
- Dominick's stores prepare for final days of business
- Midlothian auto supply store burglarized 3 times in 1 night
- Ahmad's co-defendant pleads guilty in bribery case
- New recreation center to serve South Side neighborhoods
- abcnews: Dramatic Helicopter Rescue Caught on Tape
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos