Program helps disabled man train for Chicago Marathon
September 30, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- The Chicago Marathon is next Sunday, and approximately 45,000 runners are hoping to complete the 26.2-mile course.
Many participants are running to support different not-for-profit organizations . Some even make personal commitments, including one runner who has an intellectual disability.
Grateful for the support from best buddies, 24-year-old Julian Reggans wants to show his appreciation by doing what he does best: run.
Rain or shine, the 2012 Bank of America Chicago Marathon will start at 7:30 a.m. Reggans says he hs been traineing hard.
"I've been doing five days, burrently four days a wekk," he said. "There are times when I've run alone when I'm late to make it to the fun runs along with a group, but other than that."
When Reggans finished high school, he got involved with Best Buddies Illinois.
"I needed the Best Buddies program so that I can communicate more with people from there."
Julian's buddy is Cliff Payne.
"We me through the Best Buddies program about a year ago," Payne said. "We get together at a sports game. We went to the White sox game recently together. Julian is a big fan of Chicago's Summer Dance. So, we went out and danced one night at Chicago Summer Dance."
Anneitta Blanford from the organization says they will have 70 runners for Best Buddies Illinois, but Julian is the first person with an intellectual disability to run.
"We're really, really excited about it. All the years that we have been a psar to fh marathon, we've never had one ofour participants run on behalf of us," Blanford said.
"I'm thinking of shooting [for] three hours and 50 minutes or four hours," Julian said.
"It's going to set the stage for more people with disabilities to runt he marathon, and I think that you k now people watching it are really going to be inspired by it," Blanford said.
"I know he's done a lot of other running events, and I know this was on his bucket list of things he wanted to do, and one of his goals for the year," Payne said.
The Chicago Marathon was scheduled for October 7.
For more information on Best Buddies and the Chicago Marathon, visit www.bestbuddiesillinois.org and www.chicagomarathon.com.
disability issues, karen meyer
- Bank robber tied to Evanston tobacco shop murders
- Busiest holiday travel days at O'Hare, Midway 4 min ago
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Freezing rain north, west of Chicago
- Obama: 2014 can be 'breakthrough year' for US
- New Illinois driving laws in 2014 on speed, electronics
- Report: Centrella may buy Dominick's stores
- Man charged in Rogers Park stabbing
- Horse escapes, gallops down Old Town streets
- More Chicago speed cameras to issue real tickets
- Briggs' status still up in air for Bears
- Kanye West opens pop-up store in Chicago
- abcnews: Dramatic Helicopter Rescue Caught on Tape
- Busiest holiday travel days at O'Hare, Midway
4 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos