Program helps disabled man train for Chicago Marathon
September 30, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- The Chicago Marathon is next Sunday, and approximately 45,000 runners are hoping to complete the 26.2-mile course.
Many participants are running to support different not-for-profit organizations . Some even make personal commitments, including one runner who has an intellectual disability.
Grateful for the support from best buddies, 24-year-old Julian Reggans wants to show his appreciation by doing what he does best: run.
Rain or shine, the 2012 Bank of America Chicago Marathon will start at 7:30 a.m. Reggans says he hs been traineing hard.
"I've been doing five days, burrently four days a wekk," he said. "There are times when I've run alone when I'm late to make it to the fun runs along with a group, but other than that."
When Reggans finished high school, he got involved with Best Buddies Illinois.
"I needed the Best Buddies program so that I can communicate more with people from there."
Julian's buddy is Cliff Payne.
"We me through the Best Buddies program about a year ago," Payne said. "We get together at a sports game. We went to the White sox game recently together. Julian is a big fan of Chicago's Summer Dance. So, we went out and danced one night at Chicago Summer Dance."
Anneitta Blanford from the organization says they will have 70 runners for Best Buddies Illinois, but Julian is the first person with an intellectual disability to run.
"We're really, really excited about it. All the years that we have been a psar to fh marathon, we've never had one ofour participants run on behalf of us," Blanford said.
"I'm thinking of shooting [for] three hours and 50 minutes or four hours," Julian said.
"It's going to set the stage for more people with disabilities to runt he marathon, and I think that you k now people watching it are really going to be inspired by it," Blanford said.
"I know he's done a lot of other running events, and I know this was on his bucket list of things he wanted to do, and one of his goals for the year," Payne said.
The Chicago Marathon was scheduled for October 7.
For more information on Best Buddies and the Chicago Marathon, visit www.bestbuddiesillinois.org and www.chicagomarathon.com.
disability issues, karen meyer
- Red Line Reconstruction Project sees 1st rush hour test 43 min ago
- School closings march planned to protest CPS consolidations 25 min ago
- Video: Monday @ 10: Expanded Gambling
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Burned body found inside Avondale dumpster 22 min ago
- School shooting remembered 25 years later
- Extensive vandalism devastates South Side church 20 min ago
- Relative of murdered Chicago child fatally shot
- WWI submarine has underwater Lake Michigan grave 18 min ago
- 4 dead, 15 shot in citywide gun violence
- Homeless pets find homes with PAWS Chicago
- Shots fired, multi-car crash in Hammond Walmart parking lot
- Photos: Eva Longoria on night of wardrobe malfunction
- abcnews: 13 Weird Things You Can Buy With Bitcoin
- 7 in :77
35 min ago
- Red Line Reconstruction Project sees 1st...
43 min ago
- School closings march planned to protest...
25 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos