Disability issues platforms for Obama, Romney
November 4, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Over the past few months, we have been hearing a lot from the presidential candidates plans for employment and health care. How do these issues impact Americans with disabilities?
For many years, employment and health care have been top priorities for people with disabilities. To get an insight of candidate's positions, ABC7 Chicago's Karen Meyer talked with representatives from both campaigns.
Congresswoman Jan Schakowsky says President Barack obama has made a commitment to hire more people with disabilities in federal jobs.
"His goal is 100,000 more people with disabilities over the next five years, and also, strict enforcement of the ADA has been very important, and that certainly helps people to go to accessible work places and to have the kind of accommodations that are supposed to be made," said Schakowsky.
State Sen. Patti Bellock spoke on behalf of Republican presidential candidate Gov. Mitt Romney's campaign.
" I thought it was very interesting that ---with special needs children and young adults -- when he was in Boston, he had a plan for school choice for them," said Bellock. "One of the key issues in planning for people with disabilities is that they get good education so that they get job training."
Both candidates know that health care in America is essential.
"I find him [Romney] very dedicated to that and especially to people with disabilities because of the challenges that he and his family have faced with his wife having MS and breast cancer," Bellock said.
"There are many benefits right now for people with disabilities. No child that has a disability can be denied health insurance," Schakowsky said. "Part of 'Obamacare' is the expansion of Medicaid, which is so important for persons with disabilities and for low income people and for people who are in long-term care."
Speaking of voters, during the 2008 presidential election, disabled voters turnout was 57 percent compared to 64 percent of the general population.
disability issues, karen meyer
- Passengers stranded overnight at O'Hare airport 7 min ago
- Deer falls through ice in Willow Springs 4 min ago
- ABC 7 Special: Monday Night Monsters 43 min ago
- ABC7 Weather Forecast 1 min ago
- Dangerous cold for Bears game 41 min ago
- Austin fire destroys building, leaves 10 homeless
- Rod Blagojevich arrest marks 5th anniversary
- Computer science to become CPS core subject
- Police: Evanston drug deal might have led to armed robbery
- Chicago pastor investigated for child sex abuse
- 1 dead, several injured in Racine pile-up
- 2-year-old girl killed by dog on South Side 28 min ago
- Shirley MacLaine on Kennedy Center Honors: 'It's about time'
- 'Frozen' takes top box office spot with $31.6M
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
1 min ago
- Deer falls through ice in Willow Springs
4 min ago
- Happy Ditka Day! 'Da Coach' jersey to be...
3 min ago
- Passengers stranded overnight at O'Hare...
7 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos