Couple with Down syndrome celebrates Valentine's Day
February 14, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Everyone wants to be loved.
A young couple with Down syndrome found love after meeting as toddlers.
Michael Asher, 25, and Tara Diedrich, 24, have been dating for eight years.
"We really love movies, go out for dinner," said Diedrich. "We had the past two gala's, we went together. We also did some dancing. His high school had Best Buddies dances."
Their biggest challenge is seeing each other because of the distance between them.
"We don't see each other too often, but I might try and set up a date to maybe do a movie and a lunch or a dinner, depends on what he wants," Diedrich said.
Love among people with Down syndrome is growing, says Nancy Gianni, founder of GiGi's Playhouse and mother of a 10-year-old with Down syndrome.
"Our adult populations, there's a lot of love going on during Friday Friends," said Gianni. "We do a lot of dance nights. We do a lot of movie nights, and you know they are just like anybody else, they have feelings."
"The biggest concerns is being taken advantage of," Gianni said. "You know, our kids tend to see the good in people, and you don't want someone to come in and take advantage of your child. Nobody wants that. And you want them to be protected from that."
As Valentine's Day was getting closer, I asked Michael what he has planned for Tara.
"I might get her flowers or something like a card or jewelry, because she's very obsessed with jewelry," he said.
Diedrich would someday like it to be a ring.
"If he can afford the price of the ring, yes," Diedrich said.
Both Tara and Michael have jobs. They are also involved with Special Olympics.
- LINK: GiGi's Playhouse
disability issues, karen meyer
- Naperville fire kills 2, injures 3 50 min ago
- Cardinal George celebrates 50 years in priesthood 41 min ago
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast 8 min ago
- Maine West coach trial gets testimony from ex-soccer player 21 min ago
- Mega Millions drawing leads to $1M ticket in Chicago 40 min ago
- ADM to move headquarters to Chicago without tax breaks 18 min ago
- Illini grad to go for spacewalk on International Space Station
- CPS to convert Logan Square school into military academy 21 min ago
- Chicago FOP president suspended
- Aurora house fire injures 3; 4 dogs escape safe
- Cragin on alert after girl beaten, sexually assaulted
- Woman, 30, dead in Chicago River fall ID'd
- abcnews: Pope's Christmas Message: Serve The Poor
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
8 min ago
- Naperville fire kills 2, injures 3
50 min ago
- ADM to move headquarters to Chicago without...
18 min ago
- Maine West coach trial gets testimony from...
21 min ago