Oscar nominations for films with disability issues
February 24, 2013 (WLS) -- Every year there are a number of disability-related films and characters nominated for Oscars, and this year is no different.
From best pictures to leading and supporting roles, disability issues are a part of many films.
Best picture nominee "Silver Linings Playbook" is a romantic comedy that revolves around people who are struggling with mental illness. Bradley Cooper plays a character who is bipolar. He returns home after being in a mental hospital. He is nominated for best actor. Best actress nominee Jennifer Lawrence is dealing with depression after losing her husband.
Robert De Niro plays a character with an obsessive compulsive disorder. He is nominated for best supporting actor.
"Amour" is nominated for both best picture and foreign film. It focuses on the relationship between a retired music teacher who had two strokes and her husband of 60 years.
Best supporting actress nominee Helen Hunt plays a sex therapist in "The Sessions," which is based on the life of a man with cerebral palsy. Her character is not disabled, but the film is about disability.
Sunday night, we will find out who wins on the Oscars on ABC.
disability issues, karen meyer
- 2 hurt in Edgewater crash 10 min ago
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- Near-death experience inspires businessman
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Cardinal George: 'I expect to get through this'
- 6 shot at party in Austin 53 min ago
- Child starts fire at Batavia apartment
- Chase bank robbed on Northwest Side
- Attempted abduction prompts community alert
- PM won't budge '1 centimeter' from Ukrainian land
- Interpol: Database not checked pre-Malaysia flight 12 min ago
- No consensus on notifying victims of data breaches
- Cubs single-game tickets on sale
- abcnews: Teens Help Save Man Stuck in Sewer
- 2 hurt in Edgewater crash
10 min ago
- Newsviews - Tom Cross
28 min ago
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos