Exhibit displays work by blind artists
May 19, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Passionate Focus is a one-of-a-kind annual art exhibit that showcases the work of artists who are legally blind.
The Illinois College of Optometry will display 25 pieces by 15 different artists until June 7th.
"There were about 22 people who entered, and I think in total we had about 130 submissions," said David Tabak, Executive Director of Second Sense. "What makes a good piece is something appealing from a formalistic standpoint. but ultimately I think it speaks to people lot of narrative that is going on here. Yvonne Shortt has a lot about motherhood and things like that. Kurt Westin has a whole series on what is it like to lose your sight."
Each piece is judged by a panel of jurors. First-time juror Hilesh Patel is from the Chicago Arts and Partnership. He says he was impressed by the entries.
"I thought it was great. We came in, didn't know anything about the art. Didn't know anything about the artist. So we look at all the art very objectively," Patel said. "The fact that they are made by blind artists adds an element that raises the level of context. It makes it a difference, but not necessarily better or worse. But it makes it different."
Jurors not only vote on which piece should be part of the exhibit, they also select the best of show. This year the top three were "A Glimpse of a Drummer," "Girl Near Tree" and "Classic Ruin."
The art is for sale and prices range from $100 to $1,200.
"The artist gets 70 percent and we get the remaining 30 percent," said Tabak. "It's really a tremendous exhibit for us. It's not just beautiful art, but it really goes to the mission of Second Sense, which is really concentrating on people's abilities, helping people move beyond vision laws."
The Illinois College of Optometry is located at 3241 S. Michigan Avenue in Chicago.
disability issues, karen meyer
- Winter storm could dump up to 8 inches of snow 24 min ago
- Allan Kustok found guilty in wife's 2010 murder 31 min ago
- School, Emergency Closings
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 21 min ago
- 3 people shot in car at 76th, Stony Island 42 min ago
- Retired CPD sergeant hospitalized after East Side shooting
- Appeals court accepts transcripts of Blago FBI wiretaps 40 min ago
- Repairs to city's aging sewer, water lines underway
- Combat Hate app launches in Chicago
- Olympic medalist welcomed back to Buffalo Grove school
- Ed Burke reflects after over 40 years as Alderman
- Polar plunge raises over $1M for Special Olympics
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- abcnews: Obama Shops At The Gap
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
21 min ago
- Winter storm could dump up to 8 inches of...
24 min ago
- Allan Kustok found guilty in wife's 2010...
31 min ago
- Missing Malaysia plane had Iranian asylum...
27 min ago