Dorothy's Can-Do Cafe open in Lincoln Square
July 25, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Last month a neighborhood cafe opened with two simple goals: sell homemade baking goods and give people with disabilities job skills.
Dorothy's Can-Do Cafe, located in Chicago's Lincoln Square at 4925 N. Lincoln Avenue, offers two years of work in which people with disabilities learn to bake and serve customers. The café is a Gateway to Learning special education and training center.
"Dorothy, the founder of Gateway, felt that there was no place good enough for her two special needs children so she started gateway to learning and she based it on food service so they're cooking there're baking lunches," Executive Director Cheryl Hennelly, said. "So I thought let's bring the community to Gateway so that's how the café Dorothy's can do began."
All the baked goods are made in the kitchen.
Joan Dunne's daughter, Coleen, is 28 years old.
"Coleen was going to Special Olympics last Friday, and that was the first week they were open here and she [said], 'Mom I would rather be at the café.'"
After the eight-stage program, Dorothy's Can-Do Café workers go into other jobs.
"We will get them out in the community working another job, not here at Gateway, [but] where they are comfortable," Hennelly said.
The café opened on June 10. Already, Dorothy's is looking to expand.
"We are hoping to bring what they are cooking for lunch into here to serve people can buy" 4:42
Dorothy's Can-Do Café is open Monday through Friday, from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. Check out the café's menu at http://www.gtlcandocafe.com/
disability issues, karen meyer
- Chicago temps to plunge as arctic air moves in
- Concert in Bloomington benefits tornado victims
- Video: Ditka Talks: Thursday @ 10 PM
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- 3 in custody in Homewood bank robbery
- Man allegedly assaulted first responders in River North
- Stagg High School students, teacher fall ill
- Huge fire hydrants auctioned to benefit 100 Club
- 911 dispatchers recall Washington IL tornado
- Midlothian officer faces excessive force charges
- Missing woman's body found in Libertyville
- Soul Children give Chicago show before Europe tour
- Photos: Toddler falls meeting Obama puppy 'Sunny'
- abcnews: Meet Wonder Woman: Gal Gadot