Dorothy's Can-Do Cafe open in Lincoln Square
July 25, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Last month a neighborhood cafe opened with two simple goals: sell homemade baking goods and give people with disabilities job skills.
Dorothy's Can-Do Cafe, located in Chicago's Lincoln Square at 4925 N. Lincoln Avenue, offers two years of work in which people with disabilities learn to bake and serve customers. The café is a Gateway to Learning special education and training center.
"Dorothy, the founder of Gateway, felt that there was no place good enough for her two special needs children so she started gateway to learning and she based it on food service so they're cooking there're baking lunches," Executive Director Cheryl Hennelly, said. "So I thought let's bring the community to Gateway so that's how the café Dorothy's can do began."
All the baked goods are made in the kitchen.
Joan Dunne's daughter, Coleen, is 28 years old.
"Coleen was going to Special Olympics last Friday, and that was the first week they were open here and she [said], 'Mom I would rather be at the café.'"
After the eight-stage program, Dorothy's Can-Do Café workers go into other jobs.
"We will get them out in the community working another job, not here at Gateway, [but] where they are comfortable," Hennelly said.
The café opened on June 10. Already, Dorothy's is looking to expand.
"We are hoping to bring what they are cooking for lunch into here to serve people can buy" 4:42
Dorothy's Can-Do Café is open Monday through Friday, from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. Check out the café's menu at http://www.gtlcandocafe.com/
disability issues, karen meyer
- Chicago Weather: Snow to arrive Tuesday
- Kane County relocating animals from Hampshire farm 15 min ago
- Flight 370: Missing Malaysia plane search expands
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 39 min ago
- Retired CPD sergeant critical after SE Side shooting 13 min ago
- Blue Line stop reopens after water main break
- Car crashes into building in Belmont Cragin
- 1 dead, 8 injured in Chicago shootings Monday night
- $7 million shoplifting suspect due in court, parents jailed
- 5 hurt in crash on Aurora bridge
- Gary shooting: 1 dead, at least 2 others injured
- Photos: Highest-paid musicians, according to...
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- abcnews: Happy Couples Share 6 Common Habits
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
39 min ago
- ABC7 to Go, March 11, 2014
9 min ago
- Retired CPD sergeant critical after SE Side...
13 min ago
- Coast Guard cutter Mobile Bay goes to work...
2 min ago