Sunlight Cafe helps visually impaired
August 15, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Earlier this year, the Chicago Lighthouse unveiled a new cafe that offers creative and healthy dishes by chefs in training.
Sunlight Cafe is a partnership between the Chicago Lighthouse and Le Cordon Bleu Cooking School. Some of the chefs in training are blind and visually impaired.
Le Cordon Bleu student Charese Eggleston has been in the program for a year and half. She graduated a few weeks ago and says her specialty in the kitchen is baking.
"I like upside pineapple cake and cheesecake," Eggleston said.
Despite her blindness, Eggleston can accomplish anything in the kitchen, her only challenge is using knifes.
"Sometimes I do need help from another chef in the kitchen to help chop certain things," Eggleston said.
Andre Eteitti hopes someday to have his own restaurant. For the past year, he has been enjoying his internship at Sunlight Café.
"It has been a nice experience. I've been meeting a lot of people, and just helping serve people makes you feel good when you go home," Eteitti said.
Aside from his chef training, Eteitti has learned a lot about caring for people who are blind and visually impaired.
Eteitti graduates this month and says he will be successful because Sunlight Café patrons frequently come back for a second helping.
Sunlight Café is located at the Chicago Lighthouse on Roosevelt Road in Chicago.
For more information visit:Chicago Lighthouse
Le Cordon Bleu Chicago
disability issues, karen meyer
- Woman stabbed after leaving Wicker Park nightclub 1 min ago
- Man turns self in after baby dies in crash
- Yik Yak disabled in Chicago amid bullying concerns
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Metra delays after man hit by train on NW Side 39 min ago
- Elderly woman dead after fire in Woodstock
- Superintendent reprimanded after DUI arrest 30 min ago
- Guzman lieutenant set to plead guilty in Chicago 31 min ago
- Campaign to curb military sex assaults continues
- Body found near home of woman missing 2 years
- Man falls from Wisconsin Dells roller coaster
- Employers add 175K jobs despite harsh weather 17 min ago
- Fortune cookie turns Bronx woman into millionaire
- abcnews: Family Takes on Critics After Lung Transplant
- 7 in :77
58 min ago
- Woman stabbed after leaving Wicker Park...
1 min ago