Sunlight Cafe helps visually impaired
August 15, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Earlier this year, the Chicago Lighthouse unveiled a new cafe that offers creative and healthy dishes by chefs in training.
Sunlight Cafe is a partnership between the Chicago Lighthouse and Le Cordon Bleu Cooking School. Some of the chefs in training are blind and visually impaired.
Le Cordon Bleu student Charese Eggleston has been in the program for a year and half. She graduated a few weeks ago and says her specialty in the kitchen is baking.
"I like upside pineapple cake and cheesecake," Eggleston said.
Despite her blindness, Eggleston can accomplish anything in the kitchen, her only challenge is using knifes.
"Sometimes I do need help from another chef in the kitchen to help chop certain things," Eggleston said.
Andre Eteitti hopes someday to have his own restaurant. For the past year, he has been enjoying his internship at Sunlight Café.
"It has been a nice experience. I've been meeting a lot of people, and just helping serve people makes you feel good when you go home," Eteitti said.
Aside from his chef training, Eteitti has learned a lot about caring for people who are blind and visually impaired.
Eteitti graduates this month and says he will be successful because Sunlight Café patrons frequently come back for a second helping.
Sunlight Café is located at the Chicago Lighthouse on Roosevelt Road in Chicago.
For more information visit:Chicago Lighthouse
Le Cordon Bleu Chicago
disability issues, karen meyer
- 5 injured after truck crashes into grocery store
- Boy who drowned in Crystal Lake pond ID'd 7 min ago
- City: Kup statue not stolen, out for repairs
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- CPD bike patrols to swarm high-crime areas 25 min ago
- Man charged in CTA Yellow Line attack on senior citizen
- Man accused of Naperville 'Simpsons' graffiti
- Woman sues Four Seasons, claims injuries from massage 20 min ago
- Western closed St. Paul to Mofftt over weekend 48 min ago
- Pilsen parishes join together for Good Friday procession
- Mumps reports spike across Illinois
- Photos: 13-pound baby boy born in Philly suburb
- Photos: Iran killer spared just before hanging
- abcnews: Twins Attack Carjacker With Fists, Toy Snake 46 min ago