World Chicago hosts Brazilian athletes with disabilities
September 1, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- This summer, some of Chicago's athletes with disabilities played hosts to athletes with disabilities from Brazil as part of World Chicago, a U.S. Dept. of State-sponsored organization.
This is the first time for a sports and disabilities program to be funded by the state department.
Twenty-six athletes and their coach visited Chicago for 10 days to experience accessibility in Chicago.
"They're doing a mix of sport and advocacy training so they can go back and be advocates for disability rights in Brazil," said Peggy Partenoff, executive director, World Chicago. "We wrote a grant to because Chicago did not get the bid for the Olympics, but Rio did, which was too bad, but when Rio did, we said let's still have a dialogue with Rio about the Olympics, about youth athletes. Chicago is a city that has a great disability rights community."
Visitors were joined by Chicago's athletes with disabilities as they explored the city and participated in different sports, like sled hockey.
"They don't have a lot of hockey or ice skating in Brazil. It's more summer outdoor," Partenoff said.
Tayna, 18, is a swimmer, although she had fun learning sled hockey. She loved the city
"It is a beautiful city, very accessible, warm, at least this time of the year. I am enjoying very much the city," she said.
Lucus is also 18. He plays basketball and is a big fan of Michael Jordan.
"I like a lot Michael Jordan because his life story and his lessons -- even your basketball is great," said Lucas.
Sport Coordinator Sileno is impressed with Chicago's sport programs.
"It's amazing, the sport, because people with disabilities, with a good arm, can practice, and the people who cannot use their upper body can be helped with the one who can't. So, it is very important the sport to be included for people with disabilities," Sileno said.
For more information, visit www.worldchicago.org.
disability issues, karen meyer
- Girl sexually assaulted near Safe Passage route
- 30 dogs removed from North Chicago apartment
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- 1-month anniversary of Midwest tornadoes outbreak
- ADM to open headquarters in Chicago, sources say
- Police search for suspect in Valparaiso armed robberies
- Plane lands at O'Hare after reporting mechanical problem
- Woman, 30, dead in Chicago River fall ID'd
- Reno hospital shooting on campus kills 2, including gunman
- 2 former players allege abuse during Maine West hazing trial
- Dart: Concealed carry approval process flawed
- Salvation Army feeds families, seniors in need in Chicago
- abcnews: Dad, Daughter Recreate Wedding Photos
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos