World Chicago hosts Brazilian athletes with disabilities
September 1, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- This summer, some of Chicago's athletes with disabilities played hosts to athletes with disabilities from Brazil as part of World Chicago, a U.S. Dept. of State-sponsored organization.
This is the first time for a sports and disabilities program to be funded by the state department.
Twenty-six athletes and their coach visited Chicago for 10 days to experience accessibility in Chicago.
"They're doing a mix of sport and advocacy training so they can go back and be advocates for disability rights in Brazil," said Peggy Partenoff, executive director, World Chicago. "We wrote a grant to because Chicago did not get the bid for the Olympics, but Rio did, which was too bad, but when Rio did, we said let's still have a dialogue with Rio about the Olympics, about youth athletes. Chicago is a city that has a great disability rights community."
Visitors were joined by Chicago's athletes with disabilities as they explored the city and participated in different sports, like sled hockey.
"They don't have a lot of hockey or ice skating in Brazil. It's more summer outdoor," Partenoff said.
Tayna, 18, is a swimmer, although she had fun learning sled hockey. She loved the city
"It is a beautiful city, very accessible, warm, at least this time of the year. I am enjoying very much the city," she said.
Lucus is also 18. He plays basketball and is a big fan of Michael Jordan.
"I like a lot Michael Jordan because his life story and his lessons -- even your basketball is great," said Lucas.
Sport Coordinator Sileno is impressed with Chicago's sport programs.
"It's amazing, the sport, because people with disabilities, with a good arm, can practice, and the people who cannot use their upper body can be helped with the one who can't. So, it is very important the sport to be included for people with disabilities," Sileno said.
For more information, visit www.worldchicago.org.
disability issues, karen meyer
- Winter storm could dump up to 8 inches of snow 23 min ago
- Allan Kustok found guilty in wife's 2010 murder 30 min ago
- School, Emergency Closings
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 20 min ago
- 3 people shot in car at 76th, Stony Island 41 min ago
- Retired CPD sergeant hospitalized after East Side shooting
- Appeals court accepts transcripts of Blago FBI wiretaps 39 min ago
- Repairs to city's aging sewer, water lines underway
- Combat Hate app launches in Chicago
- Olympic medalist welcomed back to Buffalo Grove school
- Ed Burke reflects after over 40 years as Alderman
- Polar plunge raises over $1M for Special Olympics
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- abcnews: Obama Shops At The Gap
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
20 min ago
- Winter storm could dump up to 8 inches of...
23 min ago
- Allan Kustok found guilty in wife's 2010...
30 min ago
- Missing Malaysia plane had Iranian asylum...
26 min ago