Artist with autism paints soap opera stars
March 24, 2010 (WLS) -- This weekend is the perfect time to visit the Chicago Cultural Center, especially for soap fans!
Larry Chestnut is an amazing artist who also happens to be autistic. His works of art will be on display through April 12.
April happens to be Autism Awareness Month and we want you to be aware of this artwork which features scenes and actors from both General Hospital and All My Children. The works are displayed in the Project Onward Gallery, which features a program for artists with special needs. Check it out at the center located at 78 E. Washington Street.
Larry Chestnut: General Hospital Paintings
March 5 - April 12, 2010
Project Onward Gallery
Chicago Cultural Center, 78 E. Washington Street, Chicago
Larry Chestnut is an artist possessed of great confidence and amazing technical skill. He is also autistic, which causes Chestnut to revisit particular subjects with obsessive regularity. The daytime drama "General Hospital" figures prominently in his work, just as it occupies a significant role in his everyday life. The works on display reflect Chestnut's quirky, multi-dimensional take on the medical show, from dramatic views of the hospital's architecture to studies of nurses and doctors on duty -- including the artist himself in hospital scrubs. April is Autism Awareness Month, and Larry Chestnut's work will be on view as part of Project Onward's commitment to autism advocacy.
Located in the Chicago Cultural Center, Project Onward is the Department of Cultural Affairs studio program for artists with special needs. The program supplies studio space, art supplies, and professional guidance to over 30 adult artists living with mental and developmental disabilities.
Note: This is a free exhibit
- South suburbs on alert after series of attacks
- Chicago doctor among 3 killed in Afghanistan
- Crowds descend on Rome ahead of canonization
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Wrigley Field anniversary cake tossed in dumpster
- Chicago plastic bag ban OK'd by council committee
- 5 CPS schools to begin offering mariachi classes
- I-Team: Gov't officials discuss campus sex assaults
- Hinsdale woman featured in People magazine
- All Southland College Prep seniors accepted to college
- NIU hazing death case in court
- Grayslake dry cleaners chemical spill injures 4
- NLRB grants review of NU football players union ruling
- abcnews: Avril Lavigne Slammed for New Video