Bayless tweets about state dinner
May 19, 2010 (WASHINGTON) (WLS) -- Chicago's very own Rick Bayless fired off a few final tweets about his state dinner for Mexico's president, Felipe Calderon, before getting to work at the White House.
The award- winning chef and owner of Chicago upscale Mexican restaurants Topolobampo and Frontera Grill, sent a message to his followers on Twitter.
"Heading into the WH for another full day of creation," Bayless wrote. "Got my fingers crossed there are no hitches!"
The state dinner is the second for the Obamas. The first had a hitch or two- including the so-called party-crashers who slipped through security.
About 200 guests were invited to the dinner, which will be held in the White Houses' East Room. The guests of honor at the state dinner are President Calderon and first lady, Margarita Zavala. More people are invited to attend an after-dinner event on the White House lawn.
Bayless has spent two days getting ready for the dinner. The menu was kept secret until Wednesday afternoon. It features Oregon Wagyu beef with Bayless's black mole sauce- which takes days to make and includes 20 plus ingredients- will be on there.
"GR8 cooking w WH staff yesterday," Bayless tweeted early Wednesday. "Remarkable their organization, knowledge of protocol."
Bayless said being a guest chef at the White House is outside of his "normal."
"It's a huge deal because it's completely outside of the normal things that I do, the normal places I'd be asked to cook."
Bayless is also the host of Mexico: One Plate At A Time on the Live Well HD Network.
Several Chicagoans made the cut to attend the Obama Administration's second State Dinner:
- Firefighters, cop among 8 injured in South Side fire
- Priest Michael O'Connell reinstated by archdiocese
- Boston police destroy 2 backpacks at marathon site
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Mother questions why Harvey police shot son
- Man shot in Palos Heights home invasion
- Local runners preparing for Boston Marathon
- Suspect sought in Boystown alley sex assault
- Loop bank robbery suspect arrested
- Drunk driver charged with driving 118 mph on I-55
- Police fatally shoot 'vicious' dog on South Side
- Teen smoking sees dramatic drop in Chicago
- Shedd announces female penguin chick's name
- abcnews: Experts: Pistorius May Have Stumbled on Stand