Chicago charter school receives $1M from Oprah
September 20, 2010 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- On Monday's Oprah Winfrey Show, the topic was the state of education in America. LEARN Charter School Network in Chicago was among the successful charter schools that was singled out.
After showing short profiles about LEARN Charter School Network along with five other schools, Oprah made a big announcement. She announced she was closing out her Angel Network by donating $1 million to each of those charter schools.
The show was focused on the state of education in the United States as part of a promotion for the new documentary about education, "Waiting for Superman."
It was a busy day for the queen of talk. It was also revealed that Oprah's voice will now be on Sesame Street for her very first time.
- Chicago Weather: Snow creates messy commute 39 min ago
- Allan Kustok found guilty in wife's 2010 murder
- I-Team: Illinois state spy secret revealed
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Julius Peppers contract terminated by Chicago Bears
- Son goes on trial in man's beating, stabbing death
- 3 people shot in car at 76th, Stony Island
- Retired CPD sergeant hospitalized after East Side shooting
- Appeals court accepts transcripts of Blago FBI wiretaps
- Repairs to city's aging sewer, water lines under way
- MH370, missing Malaysia Airlines plane, gone 4 days 49 min ago
- San Francisco fire at Mission Bay construction site contained
- Man writes own, hilarious obituary 28 min ago
- abcnews: Obama Shops At The Gap
- Chicago Weather: Snow creates messy commute
39 min ago