Actress Kate Walsh receives theatre award
October 17, 2010 (EVANSTON, Ill.) (WLS) -- The Piven Theatre Workshop has honored a well-known Chicagoan, one of the stars of ABC's "Private Practice."
For more than 35 years, the Piven Theatre Workshop in Evanston has trained children and adults in theatre. Sunday's brunch at Sunda in the River North area featured a performance by students.
Actress Kate Walsh received the Joyce Piven Artistic Excellence award for her work in theatre, television and film.
Walsh spoke about how her training affected her perspective on how she looks at everything.
"I feel like, what the Piven Theatre Workshop does is help you accept life on life's terms--and not just accept it, but embrace it and play with it. It's that spirit of play so that work is play," Walsh said.
Chicago's own Billy Dec was recognized, as well. He received the Byrne Piven Community Service Award.
ABC7's Linda Yu, who is a member of the Workshop's advisory board, served as emcee.
- South Korea ferry sinks; 292 missing, at least 3 dead 10 min ago
- Boston bombing remembered 1 year later 27 min ago
- Firefighters, cop among 8 injured in South Side fire
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Priest Michael O'Connell reinstated by archdiocese
- Mother questions why Harvey police shot son
- Man shot in Palos Heights home invasion 46 min ago
- Local runners preparing for Boston Marathon
- Suspect sought in Boystown alley sex assault
- Loop bank robbery suspect arrested
- Drunk driver charged with driving 118 mph on I-55
- Police fatally shoot 'vicious' dog on South Side
- Teen smoking sees dramatic drop in Chicago
- abcnews: Experts: Pistorius May Have Stumbled on Stand