Actress Kate Walsh receives theatre award
October 17, 2010 (EVANSTON, Ill.) (WLS) -- The Piven Theatre Workshop has honored a well-known Chicagoan, one of the stars of ABC's "Private Practice."
For more than 35 years, the Piven Theatre Workshop in Evanston has trained children and adults in theatre. Sunday's brunch at Sunda in the River North area featured a performance by students.
Actress Kate Walsh received the Joyce Piven Artistic Excellence award for her work in theatre, television and film.
Walsh spoke about how her training affected her perspective on how she looks at everything.
"I feel like, what the Piven Theatre Workshop does is help you accept life on life's terms--and not just accept it, but embrace it and play with it. It's that spirit of play so that work is play," Walsh said.
Chicago's own Billy Dec was recognized, as well. He received the Byrne Piven Community Service Award.
ABC7's Linda Yu, who is a member of the Workshop's advisory board, served as emcee.
- Freezing rain reported around Wis. border 28 min ago
- Target credit card breach causes anger, frustration
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast 43 min ago
- Dominick's offers more discounts as stores close 5 min ago
- Rogers Park stabbing leaves woman, 21, blind; man charged
- More Chicago speed cameras to issue real tickets 50 min ago
- NW Side residents hold meeting on sex assault
- Deck the malls with security
- Glen Ellyn student accused of assaulting school staff member
- Rev. Al Sharpton holds meeting on Chicago gun violence
- Carol Stream Culver's raises money for child with leukemia
- Pastor defrocked after officiating son's gay marriage 10 min ago
- abcnews: Reddit Secret Santa User is Bill Gates
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
43 min ago
- Freezing rain reported around Wis. border
28 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos