Actress Kate Walsh receives theatre award
October 17, 2010 (EVANSTON, Ill.) (WLS) -- The Piven Theatre Workshop has honored a well-known Chicagoan, one of the stars of ABC's "Private Practice."
For more than 35 years, the Piven Theatre Workshop in Evanston has trained children and adults in theatre. Sunday's brunch at Sunda in the River North area featured a performance by students.
Actress Kate Walsh received the Joyce Piven Artistic Excellence award for her work in theatre, television and film.
Walsh spoke about how her training affected her perspective on how she looks at everything.
"I feel like, what the Piven Theatre Workshop does is help you accept life on life's terms--and not just accept it, but embrace it and play with it. It's that spirit of play so that work is play," Walsh said.
Chicago's own Billy Dec was recognized, as well. He received the Byrne Piven Community Service Award.
ABC7's Linda Yu, who is a member of the Workshop's advisory board, served as emcee.
- Winter storm could dump up to 8 inches of snow
- Allan Kustok found guilty in wife's 2010 murder
- School, Emergency Closings
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- 3 people shot in car at 76th, Stony Island
- Retired CPD sergeant hospitalized after East Side shooting
- Appeals court accepts transcripts of Blago FBI wiretaps
- Repairs to city's aging sewer, water lines underway
- Combat Hate app launches in Chicago
- Olympic medalist welcomed back to Buffalo Grove school
- Ed Burke reflects after over 40 years as Alderman
- Polar plunge raises over $1M for Special Olympics
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- abcnews: Obama Shops At The Gap