Actress Kate Walsh receives theatre award
October 17, 2010 (EVANSTON, Ill.) (WLS) -- The Piven Theatre Workshop has honored a well-known Chicagoan, one of the stars of ABC's "Private Practice."
For more than 35 years, the Piven Theatre Workshop in Evanston has trained children and adults in theatre. Sunday's brunch at Sunda in the River North area featured a performance by students.
Actress Kate Walsh received the Joyce Piven Artistic Excellence award for her work in theatre, television and film.
Walsh spoke about how her training affected her perspective on how she looks at everything.
"I feel like, what the Piven Theatre Workshop does is help you accept life on life's terms--and not just accept it, but embrace it and play with it. It's that spirit of play so that work is play," Walsh said.
Chicago's own Billy Dec was recognized, as well. He received the Byrne Piven Community Service Award.
ABC7's Linda Yu, who is a member of the Workshop's advisory board, served as emcee.
- Memorial Day Road Race benefits military families
- 17-year-old boy killed in Austin shooting
- Deer on tracks halts Blue Line service temporarily
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Joliet man facing child porn charges
- Missouri freight train crash injures at least 7, collapses...
- Robbie Rogers heading to Galaxy as league's 1st openly gay...
- Second video allegedly shows guard push student
- Contaminated injections traced to IL clinic
- Memorial Day travel: Illinois roadways, airports busy
- James Ealy guilty in 2006 Burger King murder
- Concealed carry bill passes Illinois House
- Photos: Skagit River Bridge Collapse on I-5
- abcnews: Drivers Can't Face Fears, Get Lift Across...
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos