United Airlines unveils Oprah plane
November 4, 2010 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- One of Chicago's best known companies is paying tribute to one the city's best known residents.Thursday, the airline unveiled a Boeing 757 that has been painted to commemorate the Oprah Winfrey Show's farewell season.
Some United passengers got a surprise greeting Thursday morning at O'Hare whenOprah welcomed passengers on what would be the inaugural flight of "The Oprah Winfrey Show Farewell Season Plane."
"This is awesome, this is fantastic," said Kim Wolfe, "What a great surprise to show up at the gate and see a welcoming video from Oprah."
"It's exciting," said Melanie Brown. "I had no idea this was going on here today, so it is a bit of a shock."
"We saw all this commotion," said Brenda Moller. "My sister who loves Oprah said she would be at the airport. I didn't put it together until we got to the gate."
One passenger each month onboard the Oprah plane will win one million frequent flyer miles. That's enough miles to travel the globe.
"Imagine the possibilities," Oprah said. "The Farewell Season Plane is flying to cities all over the country, so tell you family and friends to be on the lookout."
Most of the passengers aboard the Los Angeles-bound plane on Thursday were going on business trips.
"This was a real surprise," said Betty Mobley. "We just booked our ticket, and saw the balloons and said, 'What's going on?' It's gonna be fun."
"I don't see her very often, but it's enjoyable when I get convinced to watch it," said Tony Mobley. "I'm just trying to get to L.A."
Aziz Nathani was meeting his wife, who's already in L.A.
"I just texted her and she's like, 'Oh my God I want to be there,' " Nathani sad.
One-hundred and fifty-eight Chicago to L.A. passengers enjoyed the 3 hour, 40 minute flight on board the Oprah farewell flight. And, if the extras weren't enough, it's 94-degrees and sunny in L.A.
"It's fantastic. United is Chicago's hometown airline and Oprah is Chicago's hometown TV show," said co-pilot Rob Cataldo. "It's a great opportunity for us and our customers. It's a win-win for everybody."
United is doing a 1 million frequent flyer mile giveaway online: www.unitedmillionmiles.com.
entertainment, leah hope
- Malaysian jet vanishes with 239 aboard 29 min ago
- Man, 29, dead after ejected from SUV on I-57 9 min ago
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 3 min ago
- Body found in sewer ID'd as missing woman
- Cardinal George to undergo more chemotherapy
- Scoozi restaurant closing in River North
- Kennedy reversible lanes closed at times this weekend
- Crime scene expert testifies for Kustok defense
- Woman stabbed after leaving Wicker Park nightclub
- Teen struck, killed by Metra train
- ABC7's Ravi Baichwal takes part in dance event
- Set clocks ahead for daylight saving time
- abcnews: Family Sickened By Meat Laced with LSD
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
3 min ago