Legendary saxophonist Von Freeman dies at 88
August 13, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- The Chicago music scene has lost a legend, as saxophonist Von Freeman died Saturday at the age of 88.
Despite offers to play with famous bands and musicians, Freeman never left Chicago. He built a career that lasted five decades.
For years, Freeman was a fixture at the New Apartment Lounge on the South Side where he played every week.
Earlier this year, he received a Jazz Masters fellowship from the national endowment of the arts.
- Married couple found dead in Garfield Ridge
- Chicago shootings: 6 dead, 24 hurt since Friday night
- Blackhawks Seabrook suspended 3 games 50 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Police: One dead, one critical after South Lawndale shooting
- Six people shot at Easter party in Montgomery
- Couple marks 77-year wedding anniversary 10 min ago
- Utica marks 10 years since deadly tornado 26 min ago
- Transcript reveals confusion over ferry evacuation 20 min ago
- Flowers blooming in Millennium Park's Lurie Garden 11 min ago
- Chicago man killed in Salt Lake City stabbing
- Man ID'd after fatal crash on Ryan-Skyway ramp
- Woman wanted for Wicker Park bank robbery
- abcnews: Meth Lab Found in Million-Dollar Home