Legendary saxophonist Von Freeman dies at 88
August 13, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- The Chicago music scene has lost a legend, as saxophonist Von Freeman died Saturday at the age of 88.
Despite offers to play with famous bands and musicians, Freeman never left Chicago. He built a career that lasted five decades.
For years, Freeman was a fixture at the New Apartment Lounge on the South Side where he played every week.
Earlier this year, he received a Jazz Masters fellowship from the national endowment of the arts.
- Bitter cold expected to last through the weekend
- Nelson Mandela condolence books open, tribute held
- ABC 7 Special: Monday Night Monsters
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Northern Illinois Huskies fall to Bowling Green 47-27
- Schaumburg woman missing since October found
- Vigil held for Khaseem Greene's cousin killed in NJ
- Blackhawks championship ring offered in raffle
- Family: Boy, 6, suffers post-traumatic stress after shooting
- Girl, 13, charged in Olympia Fields fatal crash that killed boy
- Barrington leader trying to prevent next tanker tragedy
- 'Heart and Soul' - Saturday, Dec. 7, 6 p.m.
- Photos: Christmas Tree Ship arrives at Navy Pier
- abcnews: Made in America 2013: Gift Ideas