Legendary saxophonist Von Freeman dies at 88
August 13, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- The Chicago music scene has lost a legend, as saxophonist Von Freeman died Saturday at the age of 88.
Despite offers to play with famous bands and musicians, Freeman never left Chicago. He built a career that lasted five decades.
For years, Freeman was a fixture at the New Apartment Lounge on the South Side where he played every week.
Earlier this year, he received a Jazz Masters fellowship from the national endowment of the arts.
- Red Line Reconstruction Project sees 1st rush hour test 17 min ago
- School shooting remembered 25 years later
- Video: Monday @ 10: Expanded Gambling
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Extensive vandalism devastates South Side church
- Relative of murdered Chicago child fatally shot
- WWI submarine has underwater Lake Michigan grave
- 4 dead, 15 shot in citywide gun violence
- Homeless pets find homes with PAWS Chicago
- Shots fired, multi-car crash in Hammond Walmart parking lot
- Amtrak train from New Orleans to Chicago derails
- Quinn, parents of Newtown victims, speak on gun control
- Photos: Eva Longoria on night of wardrobe malfunction 37 min ago
- abcnews: 13 Weird Things You Can Buy With Bitcoin
- 7 in :77
9 min ago
- Red Line Reconstruction Project sees 1st...
17 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos